Realism, not criticism

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Realism, not criticism

• This topic has 22 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated by BGDeuce.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Let the numbers do the talking.

Neal Brown has the WORST Big 12 standings EVERY season than in the previous 5 Big 12 seasons before his arrival.

How can you defend that? That’s not A Climb that’s a tumble.

WVU in the Big 12 has been

2021 tied for 6th with 1 game to go against last-place Kansas

2020 tied for 6th

2019 tied for 7th

2018 tied for 3rd in final season before Neal Brown became coach

2017 tied for 4th

2016  tied for 2nd

2015 tied for 5th

2014 tied for 4th

2013 tied for 7th

Was not tied for 6th in 2020 we were 6th at 4-4 (which was also a Covid year).

Neal Brown 3 years (with a shortened covid season) former person 7 years…See the difference.

Neal Brown started with no starting QB from previous season new O-line. That hadn’t happened in 60 years.

Numbers can be manipulated into whatever you want.

I just defended it. What are you going to do about it?

I would rather concentrate on the Texas win. Take a week off from the negativity.

Without concerning ourselves with what other teams do, which we have no control over, let’s deal with what the Mountaineers have done.

WVU has not yet been a power in the B-12.  In the previous seven years under Dana, WVU had one very good season.  In that same time frame WVU won just one bowl game.

When firstWVU entered the B-12 they had some very good players, including one of the very best QBs to ever lead the Mountaineers.  The second season they had a losing season, winning just four games, while losing eight.  The third season they again ended up with seven wins and six losses.  So, in the first three years in the B-12, they lost more games than they won.  They also lost the two bowl games they appeared in.

I’ve read posts from some of the posters down playing bowl games, saying things like they’re just glorified scrimmages etc.  But, I believe the bowl game wins improve perception and status.  I like it when the Mountaineers win.

Unlike when Dana became coach and had Geno, one of the Mountaineers best ever QBs leading the Mountaineers, Brown had no QB to lead the Mountaineers in 2019.  He was able to get two transfers.  In that first season, he won only five games, and changed QBs after game eight.  Season two, Brown led the team to a winning season and a bowl win.

We still don’t know what the end results will be this year.  Will he win the last game, and win the bowl game?  Or, will he win the last game and lose the bowl game or will he lose the last game?

Regardless, of what place the team is in the standings, I look at wins and losses.  I don’t see the team regressing under Brown.

IMO, although he has made mistakes, and all coaches make mistakes, but mistakes aren’t as noticeable for coaches who have the best athletes and win games.

I suspect that I many be in the minority, but I think that Brown will become a very good coach, and I believe Doege is a much better QB than most give him credit for.  He may not be a Heisman caliber QB, but I hope he returns for his last year to again lead the Mountaineers.

It’s completely futile to look at a very specific set of data each week and make sweeping generalizations and insinuations about that very specific data.

You aren’t showing us what the numbers say.  You’re showing us what a very specific hand-picked set of numbers “say”.  Stop pretending like you’re doing some type of analysis, or actually do a detailed analysis.  But these weekly gripe posts disguised as analysis are a waste of space.

CFE, we know your not a Neal Brown fan.  But to try manipulate the numbers to show your case is only showing your distain for the HC.  It’s either that or you know little about putting a program together.  I don’t think the latter is the case.

CFE, since you have pointed out all of the negatives that you can think of, what are your recommendations for a quick fix ? Surely you have a list made out for the administration. I’m sure that Shane would love to talk with you…..for that matter so would HCNB.

Who do you hire that’s better than NB?

I think that Brown will become a very good coach, and I believe Doege is a much better QB than most give him credit for.

I hope for my alma mater’s sake you are right and that the numbers are wrong. We’ll see. I hate L’s for my alma mater no matter who is the coach or the players. For God’s sake, beat Kansas and win the bowl game and we’ll all feel better. 

“and that the numbers are wrong”

lol

Hey, CFE, since you’re a master with numbers, here’s a legitimate math question on my 8th grade grandson’s final test last year. If you answer it, you get the bonus prize.

Three birds sitting on a wire. One or two decide to leave. How many were left on the wire?

Three, because they only “Decided” to leave. It is not stated that they left yet.

But, if they did leave, how many were left on the wire?
    😎

Clue: This was a combo English/Math question!
    😉

One or two.  We don’t have the final decisions with which to apply the math.

Out of 30 honor students, only 2 had the deductive answer!

The key is in the structure of the question.
    Think, “were left”!

What if the question was stated,
    Three birds sitting on a fence, one or two decided to leave, what of them was left?

The answer is in the plurality!

😏

Your numbers show that after ten years in the B-12, WVU was ranked in the top 30% of the B-12 teams just two times.

I hope for something better for the team. And, I believe the only way the Mountaineers can become better is with improved recruiting, and another top flight QB, such as the one the Mountaineers had when they entered the league.

Too often, the previous staff relied too much on transfers. This helps to win in a season, but it doesn’t help to build a team.

Getting transfers to help in a season is OK. But, depending upon transfers every year is not the way to continually field a team that can regularly compete.

This was the problem that Brown encountered when he began coaching the Mountaineers. Transfers have a place on the team, but using transfers, instead of building a team can have negative consequences.

What if one of those transfers go down with an injury, there’s no one to replace him. But when a team is built with talented players, there are back ups to replace injured players.

During Dana’s time as Mountaineers’ coach, we were told that the Mountaineers weren’t able to recruit players good enough to play in the B-12, so transfers were needed. But, coach Brown doesn’t believe that, and believes the only way to go is to build a relationship with high school coaches, and recruit good players.

Time will tell rather Brown was right that the Mountaineers can continually recruit good players to build a good team, or whether Dana was right, and the Mountaineers have to depend upon transfers to field a decent, but not great team,

“Brown doesn’t believe that, and believes the only way to go is to build a relationship with high school coaches, and recruit good players.”

“Time will tell rather Brown was right that the Mountaineers can continually recruit good players to build a good team, or whether Dana was right, and the Mountaineers have to depend upon transfers to field a decent, but not great team,”

Sounds like you have made the decision that it’s a matter of fact that you can only build a good, but not great team via the continuing recruitment of good high school players.
    And can only build a decent, but not great team via the transfer route! No mention of whether a good team can be built from transfer players!?

So many generalities here it’s hard to comprehend what ratios of high school to transfers are at hand!? It seems that there probably will be a mix of both? Or are you saying it’s all or nothing of one of them?

Another question might be, are you assuming that the “continuing recruitment of good players” that has started is of the quality required to meet whatever your expectations are,
    whatever that is?

Do you have any qualms about what the “free agency” aka “portal” impact might have on the high school recruitment route in terms of retainment of high end recruits? Has the “ horse left the barn” for this old school policy? With the portal along with the 4 game redshirt rule, has the four or five year student at one school played out it’s relevancy?

Just saying……..

Was not tied for 6th in 2020 we were 6th at 4-4

You are correct. I was wrong. It was another season that WVU was tied in the standings. Sorry.

I do not distain or hate anyone. I only want what’s best for my alma mater. The worst numbers in 40 years doesn’t fit that bill. If it was Jesus Christ coaching and he had the worst numbers in 40 years I’d be unhappy while praying to his Daddy.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Realism, not criticism