Report: WVU Among Schools to Watch for Kelly Bryant

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Report: WVU Among Schools to Watch for Kelly Bryant

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Txeer80 Txeer80 .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder
    Muskets: 8,975

According to The State, WVU is a school to watch for Clemson transfer QB Kelly Bryant. Bryant is scheduled to visit North Carolina and Arkansas, and also could look at Louisville, Missouri and Baylor.

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets: 103,615

We’ve done well with QB transfers. We do need a QB in this class even if it is a transfer.

Martin Dodrill
    Muskets: 11,711

We should only take him if we think neither of our undergrad QBs can play. Continuing to take transfers hurts QB high school recruiting…but maybe our two back ups are just average

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder

Not sure I agree with that Martin, so interested to hear more from you on that.

As I noted in a recruiting column in one of our publications earlier this fall, it would not be a surprise to see WVU to take two QBs this year, with one being a non-freshman.

Martin Dodrill
    Muskets: 11,711

The only reason to bring Bryant in is to give him the starting job (why else would he come) We are having a very difficult time recruiting high school QBs. We have become transfer U at that position. I am just putting things together. If we don’t think our 2 returning QBs can play, we have to go after Bryant. I just don’t like bring a QB in for one year ….but will take all the one year guys we can get for needed positions. Kevin, what is your opinion of the returning QBs.

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder

Thanks Martin – good points and discussion.

Last ? first. Allison throws the ball really well. Stands tall in the pocket, and his throws look good. It’s so hard to get a read on QBs until they play in games or get a bunch of time with the ones, but I think he has the chance to be good.

Trey Lowe is different – he’s a true run/pass guy. Is he special enough to make people miss in the run game? HE throws it ok, but that is still to be determined.

The big question here is that WVU will have to modify its offense some, not a lot, depending on who would win the job. I’ve asked about this, and am told that the concepts are in place to make that happen without a ton of modifications. It’s just a matter of more practice time being devoted to which QB wins the job.

Which brings us to Bryant. WVU could take two QBs, a HS guy and a juco or a transfer. So, I don’t think that taking Bryant negates getting a HS guy. I agree that taking a QB for one year isn’t the best situation. In this instance, he did run an offense similar to what WVU uses, and if he doesn’t play he just costs you that scholarship for one year. But I don’t know if that offsets the one-year negatives.

We do tend to look at things differently than coaches. I think they look at situations like the from the standpoint of if they think a player can help, even if it’s from the point of pushing guys around them, they will bring him in, and not view it as a knock on the players that are already there. If they do bring him in, it wouldn’t necessarily mean they don’t have confidence in Allison or Lowe.

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder

Thanks Martin – good points and discussion.

Last ? first. Allison throws the ball really well. Stands tall in the pocket, and his throws look good. It’s so hard to get a read on QBs until they play in games or get a bunch of time with the ones, but I think he has the chance to be good.

Trey Lowe is different – he’s a true run/pass guy. Is he special enough to make people miss in the run game? HE throws it ok, but that is still to be determined.

The big question here is that WVU will have to modify its offense some, not a lot, depending on who would win the job. I’ve asked about this, and am told that the concepts are in place to make that happen without a ton of modifications. It’s just a matter of more practice time being devoted to which QB wins the job.

Which brings us to Bryant. WVU could take two QBs, a HS guy and a juco or a transfer. So, I don’t think that taking Bryant negates getting a HS guy. I agree that taking a QB for one year isn’t the best situation. In this instance, he did run an offense similar to what WVU uses, and if he doesn’t play he just costs you that scholarship for one year. But I don’t know if that offsets the one-year negatives.

We do tend to look at things differently than coaches. I think they look at situations like the from the standpoint of if they think a player can help, even if it’s from the point of pushing guys around them, they will bring him in, and not view it as a knock on the players that are already there. If they do bring him in, it wouldn’t necessarily mean they don’t have confidence in Allison or Lowe.

Ccteam
    Muskets: 87,594

If you have the opportunity to take him, you absolutely do.

TonyAlto
    Muskets: 25,606

A good example of. A one year success would be Wilson
    from NC State to Wisconsin
    This would be a no brainier if it could happen.
    We’re looking at a possible throw away tear with an
    inexperienced QB next year Vs a possible highly
    successful one with Bryant’s experience at the
    level he has played!

Txeer80
    Txeer80
    Muskets: 21,541

Never happen…..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Report: WVU Among Schools to Watch for Kelly Bryant