Rich's son to start at QB for Arizona

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Rich's son to start at QB for Arizona

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  TonyAlto .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Cuyahoga Falls Eers
    Muskets: 32,790

Rhett Rodriguez, Rich’s son, will start at quarterback for Arizona Saturday at UCLA.

He will replace Khalil Tate, out with an ankle injury that has bothered him since he was hurt in the September 8 Houston game.

It will be the first career start for Rhett, a sophomore who completed 20-of-38 passes for 226 yards and a touchdown in last week’s 42-10 loss to Utah.

Rhett played his high school ball for Tucson’s Catalina Foothills Hill School. He was first team 4A Arizona Offensive Player of the Year as a senior when he passed for 2,996 yards and 30 touchdowns and only three interceptions in leading Catalina Hills to a state championship. Rhett’s sister, Raquel, was senior team captain of the Catalina Hills cheerleading squad.

Rhett graduated from Catalina Hills in 2017 and enrolled at Arizona to play for his father. At the end of Rhett’s first season, Rich was fired after six years at Arizona.

Rich coached WVU from 2001 through 2007, was at Michigan from 2008 through 2010 and then began at Arizona in 2012. Rich did not coach in 2011.

Ccteam
    Muskets: 68,349

Good for him, but I really, really don’t care.

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets: 82,060

This really tells you how bad the AZ program is. Rhett is adequate. All the other QB’s are FR. A place holder till someone else comes along. They are 2-2 , 3-4. With L’s to BYU, Houston, USC and Utah. 4th in the South. May (should) win only 2 more games.

Cuyahoga Falls Eers
    Muskets: 32,790

This really tells you how bad the AZ program is. Rhett is adequate. All the other QB’s are FR. A place holder till someone else comes along. They are 2-2 , 3-4. With L’s to BYU, Houston, USC and Utah. 4th in the South. May (should) win only 2 more games.

RHETT WAS HIGH SCHOOL OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR IN ARIZONA. IF HE’S ONLY ADEQUATE THEN EVERY HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALLER IN ARIZONA IS INADEQUATE FOR COLLEGE FOOTBALL. I SERIOUSLY DOUBT THAT.

I KNOW SOME HATE EVERYTHING WITH RICH’S FINGERPRINTS ON IT. I DON’T. I THANK HIM FOR THE MANY GOOD SEASONS HE BROUGHT TO ME AND WVU FANS WHILE COACHING THE MOUNTAINEERS. YES, IT WAS NASTY WHEN HE WENT TO MICHIGAN BUT PASTERLONG DESERVES MORE CREDIT THAN RICH FOR NOT PROVIDING THE FACILITIES THAT RICH WANTED. OLIVER LUCK BECAME AD AND CAME UP WITH THE FACILITIES UPGRADES THAT WOULD HAVE KEPT RICH AT WVU. NOT ALL ONE-SIDED, AS USUAL.

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14
    O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17
    U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence
    N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6
    T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34
    A ntsy time for fans, vs. Kansas!, 38-22
    I ncomprehensible insanely indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30
    N ail Baylor
    E rectile dysfunction Texas
    E lectrify TCU
    R eam Oklahoma State
    S laughter Oklahoma

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets: 82,060

AZ offensive POY. That tells us a lot about the quality of recruits and how they are ranked. Rivals ranked Rhett as 5.5, the lowest 3*. 5.4 is 2*. Scout had him at .8149 This is a very low 3*.
    To his credit, Rhett did take his HS team to the 4A championship game. And he is a coaches son. That usually gives him an early advantage on dissecting film, reading D’s and general FB IQ. Thanks to Dad he had this advantage growing up. But this doesn’t account for the very low ratings on multiple sites. Some kids take longer to develop. But that is normally true for kids that start playing late. This is not the case. Rhett was diagramming plays at age 5.

As far as RR goes. I was always a huge fan. Hated the way he left. Hoped his career would crash and burn in MeatChicken….. and it did. After that, I still liked him as a coach and would welcome him back in a New York Minute.

You’re right about Putzalong. He was the worst AD in the history of AD’s across the country. He and Joey Munchkin teamed up to be the best of the best Good Old Boy network that ever donned a WVU logo. They were the reason that many of our programs just couldn’t compete because they wouldn’t put money toward new facilities and kept bad coaches. Glad both are gone.

TonyAlto
    Muskets: 18,661

Congrats to him and the best of luck!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Rich's son to start at QB for Arizona