Run blocking

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Run blocking

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Butlereer Butlereer .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

mexman
    Muskets: 39,455

Needs a lot of work. We will need to run the ball well to beat the better teams.

Not encouraging on the couple of series we dedicated to running the ball and couldn’t move it at all.

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets: 102,705

As good as our OL pass blocks, they need work on run blocking. But…… give KSt credit for their run D. Their D is pretty good.

Ccteam
    Muskets: 86,914

KSt is no slouch in the box on defense. Run game was good enough. I’m not that concerned.

Butlereer
    Butlereer

Goal line stands by KSt stuffed us on a few run plays.
    1st score stuffed Brown from the 1
    3rd score McCoy stuffed from the 2

Both times we scored next play on a pass.

Ccteam

The run game only has to be good enough that it can work when the opponent sells out on defending the pass. WV is that good passing this year. Run offense isn’t great, but it doesn’t have to be. Just needs to gain yards when the defense leaves the box light.

Butlereer
    Butlereer

True to a point. It’s frustrating when we can’t punch it in from the 1.
    We will miss Sills and Jennings next year. Those will be hard shoes to fill.

Simms and Simmons will need guys to step up to fill the depth chart behind them next year.

I believe our other SR’s, Crest and Maiden, both had drops. Didn’t Crest had a drop that even I could have caught.

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder
    Muskets: 8,975

I want to watch the game again before making a more definitive call, but there were a few times I thought that run blocking was subpar. KState might have been bringing some more down in the box late. But, 3.9 yards per rush is not a great number.

Gianojo
    Muskets: 16,735

The run game improved when McCoy entered the game. He has a better understanding of where and when to make a cut when the defense plugs the predetermined hole. Not saying other RB’s aren’t good, just not as much game experience. That being said we have to be able to create space at the point of attack and we struggled with that yesterday.

Cuyahoga Falls Eers
    Muskets: 38,905

I want to watch the game again before making a more definitive call, but there were a few times I thought that run blocking was subpar. KState might have been bringing some more down in the box late. But, 3.9 yards per rush is not a great number.

RUSHING PLAYS DIDN’T HAVE THE SNAP OF EARLIER GAMES BUT I DON’T REALLY CARE WHETHER WVU GAINS YARDS OR SCORES ON THE PASS OR RUN.

AND HOW ABOUT THAT DEFENSE? NO … NADA … TOUCHDOWNS GIVEN UP. EVEN THE JUNIOR VARSITY ON THE FIELD DIDN’T GIVE UP A TOUCHDOWN. GIBBY HAS THINGS IMPROVING. CORNERS STILL ARE WORRISOME BUT IS SAW SOME IMPROVEMENT THERE AND, ONCE EXPERIENCE PILES UP, I EXPECT THE CORNERS TO GET BETTER.

THREE GAMES AND NO ONE COMES CLOSER THAN 26 POINTS TO MY ALMA MATER. I’D SAY THAT’S A DAMN IMPRESSIVE START.

I KNOW, NOW THE 3 TOUGHEST TEAMS ON WVU’S SCHEDULE. AND TEXAS TECH, ON THE ROAD, WILL BE A MUCH TOUGHER OBSTACLE FOR THE MOUNTAINEERS.

BUT I LIKE THIS TEAM A LOT. I THINK IT MAY SURPASS THE GENO SMITH TAVON AUSTIN TEAM THAT SPRINTED TO A 5-0 START BECAUSE THE DEFENSE IS TONS BETTER THAN GENO’S TEAM. AND GRIER IS A FOOTBALL COACH IN A QUARTERBACK UNIFORM WITH 4 RECEIVERS FOR AN OVERWHELMED DEFENSE TO DEAL WITH. YOU CAN’T DOUBLE-TEAM ANY OF THEM AND THEY ARE DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH ONE-ON-ONE. SILLS CAN OUT-MUSCLE AND OUT-JUMP THEM AND SIMMS CAN OUT-RUN THEM. DEFENSIVE COORDINATORS IN THE BIG 12 ARE HAVING NIGHTMARES THINKING ABOUT IT.

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14
    O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17
    U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence
    N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6
    T errorize Texas Tech
    A nnihilate Kansas
    I ncinerate Iowa State
    N ail Baylor
    E rectile dysfunction Texas
    E lectrify TCU
    R eam Oklahoma State
    S laughter Oklahoma

Ccteam

Offensive competition takes a big jump up Saturday. TN and K St will be in bottom half of nation and likely the bottom quartile in offensive productivity. TX Tech can score. While their defense will struggle to stop WV, their offense will certainly challenge WV’s defense like they haven’t yet been challenged. Look for an old west shoot out next weekend.

Cuyahoga Falls Eers
    Muskets: 38,905

Offensive competition takes a big jump up Saturday. TN and K St will be in bottom half of nation and likely the bottom quartile in offensive productivity. TX Tech can score. While their defense will struggle to stop WV, their offense will certainly challenge WV’s defense like they haven’t yet been challenged. Look for an old west shoot out next weekend.

I AGREE THAT TEXAS TECH WILL BE A FAR TOUGHEST TEST FOR WVU THAN ITS FIRST 3 OPPONENTS COMBINED. BUT I ALSO THINK THIS TEAM IS UP TO THE TASK, EXCEPT MAYBE OUR CORNERS. THAT WOULD BE WERE TECH WILL ATTACK AGAIN AND AGAIN. THE CORNERS WILL IMPROVE RAPIDLY WITH EXPERIENCE BUT TT IS GAME 4 SO THEY MAY NOT BE UP TO THE TASK. BUT TT ALSO HAS TO DEAL WITH GRIER AND 4 WVU RECEIVERS ON EVERY PASSING PLAY. SILLS’ SIZE AND STRENGTH AND SIMMS’ SPEED ARE A DEADLY DOUBLE DOSE OF DAMAGE. I LOVE ALITERATION AND MY ALMA MATER’S FOOTBALL TEAM!

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14
    O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17
    U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence
    N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6
    T errorize Texas Tech
    A nnihilate Kansas
    I ncinerate Iowa State
    N ail Baylor
    E rectile dysfunction Texas
    E lectrify TCU
    R eam Oklahoma State
    S laughter Oklahoma

Butlereer
    Butlereer

TT, Kansas, ISU, Bay should be W’s. Our OL needs to step up and show that we can produce a good run game. If we can’t the last 4 games of TX, TCU, OKSt, OU will be very hard to beat with just an air game. These last 4 games are the gauntlet that will show how good we really are.

Same goes for the D secondary. We gave up some big gains on pass plays that should have been defended. CB’s and S’s let their guys get behind them. We’ve got a lot of work to do the next 4 games.

Gom66
    Muskets: 13,021

Needs a lot of work. We will need to run the ball well to beat the better teams.

Not encouraging on the couple of series we dedicated to running the ball and couldn’t move it at all.

Yeah, looked at their ytd stats. MS rushed for almost 400 yards and UTSA had over 160 yards…both on KSU’s home turf. KSU’s passed for over 220 yards yesterday, the most for them all seasons. This KSU team is not very good on offense or defense.

Butlereer
    Butlereer

KSt didn’t seem like the same Bill Snyder team. Didn’t look like the same spirit that he’s had in the past.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Run blocking