Sagaba Konate CBI Status

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Sagaba Konate CBI Status

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  WVFaninMI .

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Sounds like Konate might be part of the team next year. What a potential PF/C combo of Culver, Sags and Oscar!

That was my first thought too, although trying to read the tea leaves in this saga has been a little frustrating.

Why would Sags even be considering a redshirt unless he’s thinking of playing college ball (at WVU or elsewhere) in 2020-21?

Maybe he, like us, is looking forward to teaming up with Oscar T. and Culver. Or, he just wants to keep all his options open.

From what I’ve seen in person and on TV, his attitude seems good. I’m still giving him the benefit of the doubt. In any case, he’s doing a WSOP-worthy job of keeping his cards close to his vest.

I would be shocked if he ever played for WVU again.  I think he and his family made that decision after he got the All-time blocks record at WVU

I read the comment from Huggs as his usual backhanded remark to questions he doesn’t want to answer.  He knows full well that the MedRS year isn’t until 20-21.  Most likely an answer to a question that he just didn’t want to address.

Yes, Butlereer, I agree. Don’t see him ever needing a red shirt year at all. Even if he does come back next year he will have eligibility without claiming a red shirt.

Why would Sags even be considering a redshirt unless he’s thinking of playing college ball (at WVU or elsewhere) in 2020-21? Maybe he, like us, is looking forward to teaming up with Oscar T. and Culver. Or, he just wants to keep all his options open. From what I’ve seen in person and on TV, his attitude seems good. I’m still giving him the benefit of the doubt. In any case, he’s doing a WSOP-worthy job of keeping his cards close to his vest.

Think it’s important to note that Huggins did not specifically say Sags was considering a redshirt. He said “we”. That could include Sags, or not.

I hope that Sagaba comes back to play for WVU next season, as I believe it’s in his best interest.  My guess is that he will not play here next season — hope I’m wrong.

Why would Sags even be considering a redshirt unless he’s thinking of playing college ball (at WVU or elsewhere) in 2020-21? Maybe he, like us, is looking forward to teaming up with Oscar T. and Culver. Or, he just wants to keep all his options open. From what I’ve seen in person and on TV, his attitude seems good. I’m still giving him the benefit of the doubt. In any case, he’s doing a WSOP-worthy job of keeping his cards close to his vest.

Think it’s important to note that Huggins did not specifically say Sags was considering a redshirt. He said “we”. That could include Sags, or not.

OK, how can I put this in a way that doesn’t upset the media types.  This is how I read it in typical Huggs fashion.  “At this point it’s more concentrating on getting him a redshirt.” means that he will not play in the CBI.   And in typical Huggs fashion the deeper meaning maybe even in his snide, snarky way of saying Don’t be so stupid !!!!!  Why don’t you reporters ask a serious question about this team.  We’ve talked enough about Sags and you keep asking the same dumb ass questions.

Typical Huggs.  You ask a stupid question, I’ll give you a stupid answer.  Unfortunately many of the people that read this don’t get it.  He does this with a lot of media types that ask questions that have no real answer.  The only media type he doesn’t do this with is Holly Rowe.  I think he’s afraid of her. 😉

With regards to Holly Rowe it is probably more out of respect than fear.

Huggins has a great deal of respect for Holly R and her cancer recovery.

Naw…. I think you’re both wrong on Holly.  Huggs is skairt of her.  He never answers with his usual snide remark.  You can tell he treats her differently.  He doesn’t do this with any of the other female reporters.  And certainly not with the guys.  Even with a softball question he gives a softball answer.  Not typical for Huggs interview answers.  Not even close.

OK, how can I put this in a way that doesn’t upset the media types. This is how I read it in typical Huggs fashion. “At this point it’s more concentrating on getting him a redshirt.” means that he will not play in the CBI. And in typical Huggs fashion the deeper meaning maybe even in his snide, snarky way of saying Don’t be so stupid !!!!! Why don’t you reporters ask a serious question about this team. We’ve talked enough about Sags and you keep asking the same dumb ass questions.

Typical Huggs. You ask a stupid question, I’ll give you a stupid answer. Unfortunately many of the people that read this don’t get it. He does this with a lot of media types that ask questions that have no real answer. The only media type he doesn’t do this with is Holly Rowe. I think he’s afraid of her. 😉

As noted in the original post and tweet, Huggins said that Konate was unlikely to play in the CBI. SO there was no need, IMO, to infer that the comment about redshirting referred to this year, but that’s ok if someone else took it that way.

And since the original info about Sags being cleared to play came from a source inside the program, I don’t think it was unreasonable for me to approach Sags for comment in KC, or for a follow-up to be directed at Huggins by another reporter today. Continued digging often reveals more information. I certainly understand if people are tired of this issue, but I didn’t view it as asking the same dumbass questions. Again, it’s ok to have a different opinion. The question was a simple one, and had a simple answer. Is Konate going to play in the CBI? Yes, no or maybe. Huggins indicated no, then provided a reason for it — the redshirt option.

It’s true that the redshirt season wouldn’t be approved or happen until the 2020-21 season. But maybe Huggins thinks Konate will play two more years. Unlikely – you bet. But we aren’t assuming. How many people thought four months ago there was any chance Konate would be back next year? Circumstances can change.

OK, I’ll bite.  The question was legit.  Then answer was another snide remark by Huggs in typical Huggs fashion.  When did any coach have to “Concentrate” on making sure a JR was eligible for a Med RS season?  Just don’t play him.  Especially if a MedRS has no effect on his ability to play next year.

Sags took the remark seriously.  Had to rebuke Huggs by tweeting “NOT  TRUE”.  Then his tweet was taken down.  Again, My speculation only, someone got to Sags and told him that Huggs comment was a joke….. only a joke.  In typical Huggs fashion, some of his remarks are so dry that they are taken seriously.

The point here is that his off the wall comment was taken seriously by many on these boards and sparked a lot of talk speculation about Sags coming back or not next year because of the impending Med RS.   News Flash >>>>>> Sags ability to get a RS to play a 5th year has nothing to do with him coming back next year.  Does anybody honestly think Sags will be around for TWO more years?  One is a stretch.

I honestly didn’t take his answer as snide. Yes, he will fire with sarcasm, or give his thoughts directly when he senses an agenda in a question, but I’m ok with that. It’s easier than getting non-answers.

I try not to parse every word in the answers we get, and instead try to impart the tone and thoughts that I believe the interview subject is trying to make. I find myself falling into traps when I get too deep into that.

As for Sags, he has several times tweeted or snapped things this year that he has later take down. Do the initial things he (or anyone) tweets, and then later takes down, reflect his true thoughts? Maybe so. Or maybe he read it and thought Huggs was talking about him redshirting next year.

Your final graf is spot on. I didn’t give it another thought for next year because, as you say, it doesn’t matter.

Do I think Sags will be here two more years? No. But no one thought three was even a glimmer of a chance he’d be here next year either.

I honestly didn’t take his answer as snide. Yes, he will fire with sarcasm, or give his thoughts directly when he senses an agenda in a question, but I’m ok with that. It’s easier than getting non-answers. I try not to parse every word in the answers we get, and instead try to impart the tone and thoughts that I believe the interview subject is trying to make. I find myself falling into traps when I get too deep into that. As for Sags, he has several times tweeted or snapped things this year that he has later take down. Do the initial things he (or anyone) tweets, and then later takes down, reflect his true thoughts? Maybe so. Or maybe he read it and thought Huggs was talking about him redshirting next year. Your final graf is spot on. I didn’t give it another thought for next year because, as you say, it doesn’t matter. Do I think Sags will be here two more years? No. But no one thought three was even a glimmer of a chance he’d be here next year either.

Hmmmm . . . I’m not convinced that we KNOW that he’ll even be here next year.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Sagaba Konate CBI Status