Sam James Growing Into Role As Go-To WVU Receiver

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Sam James Growing Into Role As Go-To WVU Receiver

• This topic has 5 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated by ButlereerButlereer.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Sam James Growing Into Role As Go-To WVU Receiver MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — It comes slowly, this thing called greatness. You are blessed with superior athl
    [See the full post at: Sam James Growing Into Role As Go-To WVU Receiver]

JAL

When I first saw James in the opening game I was impressed by his talent.  He has the ability to be one of the great WVU receivers before he is done.

Sam James infuriated the fans near me in Section 105 with the 4 dropped passes, but his upside is incredible.

Big 12 Newcomer of the Week isn’t exactly chump change either.

Every college player has pros and cons, good moments and bad moments.

The key is to reduce the uh-ohs and increase the oh, yeahs!

Sam James in his 2nd-3rd full year will be interesting. He’s got game!

There can be a number of reasons for drops. Nervousness, concentrating on routes, getting used to the speed of the game, better competition, etc.

I think part of this is that Sam rarely had to make contested catches in HS. He was used to blowing by defenders.

There’s also the case of which way you are moving when you catch the ball. Some guys catch it ok over the shoulder, some have trouble while running crossing routes or with balls right at their chests. Some guys that are really fast have problems relating to their speed. I remember an anecdote about Cliff Branch running so fast that his eyeballs bounced and affected his focus.

WVU is doing a number of different things to promote better catching habits for James and his teammates. Many times, these things pay off, so hopefully this will be one of those cases.

He also needs to work on techniques during route running, like stacking when he gets an advantage.

Some of it is getting used to the speed of the ball coming at you.  Way different catching balls from a HS QB than catching them from a RJR P5 QB.   Not that Kendall throws rockets, but the speed is still different.

On the other hand, it may just be the wrong gloves. 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Sam James Growing Into Role As Go-To WVU Receiver