Scholarship limits are 85 for football and 13 for bball …. but ?

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Scholarship limits are 85 for football and 13 for bball …. but ?

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated by ButlereerButlereer.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

What does this free eligibility year do to the NCAA limits? How can you bring in your 2021 commits and continue to provide scholarships to those you would have used up their eligibility if not for this free year. Has the big 12 given any insight on the issue

Therein lies the rub, Martin.  Yes, it has been considered by the Big 12 and the other conferences.  Yet, while offering the “free year” to all participants, the NCAA is not permitting any temporary relief to the scholarship caps.

NCAA says all players currently on schollie will NOT have this year counted toward their 5 to play 4.  The limit for next year will be 25 schollies ( or whatever number you have left) and the 85 is not a cap.  ((this is the interpretation I get reading multiple outlets)).  That cap limit will be raised ONLY for the 2021 season.  2022 will be back to 85 schollies.

Now, paying for the extra schollies is up to the individual school.  Schools do not have to guarantee the extra year of eligibility if they feel they cannot afford it.  They can stick to the 85 number.  But overall, this is a big win for the players.  Many of them will be able to use the full 6 years to get a masters while on full schollie.  Here’s one article.

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/ncaa-eligibility-waived-covid/507-bd82c688-d5e2-4fb3-82c0-a6db9200af2e

IMO this will be a big gain for teams like WVU that are significantly below the 85 number (thank you Holgs for your inept recruiting) and can use those numbers to bolster the program.  Now, going into the 2022 year there will be a significant backlog of players because you effectively have 2 FR classes … .2021 and 2022. …. up to 50 players.  Getting back down to 85 in 2022 may be a huge problem for some programs if they don’t manage it correctly.

Correct. The cap limit for the total number of athletes you can have on scholarships will not be in effect for the 2021-22 school year. That goes for all fall and winter sports.

In the following year (2022-23) the total scholarship cap goes back into effect. It s something else to manage, and will be a problem for some teams were everyone to decide to come back. That’s unlikely to happen, but it’s something that every team in all of those sports will have to plan for.

Well, I’ll be damned.  I missed the temporary waiver of the caps in my reading on the subject.  Got to get these glasses checked.  🙂

KK, I heard the Winter sports thing but haven’t seen anything official from the NCAA that this definitely includes BB.  This could be a huge problem for some in BB.  With FB there is a lot more turnover and teams normally don’t hit that cap.  BB’s 13 is a much hard fast number for most teams.

If we’re talking BB, as of this moment we have 13 + 2 if both SR’s and Oscar come back next year (21/22).  That’s a manageable number even if we bring in another this year.  The year after (22/23) we have to lose the 2 sr’s (Gabe, Taz) and most likely Oscar will go (maybe this year) along with maybe Derek.

As is stands now if the waiver is true for BB our JR’s this year 20/21 will be 5 SR’s in the 22/23 year  Matthews, Culver, McNeal, McCabe, Johnson.  To round out the roster we’ll have 1 JR McBride (Oscar would be the only other JR but he will be gone), 6 SO’s Seny, Cottrell, Thweatt, Bridges, and 21 recruits Wilson and Johnson.  That leaves only 1 schollie open for the 22/23 year.

This is IF all of the current guys stay around and don’t hit the portal or make the jump to the draft. Those 5 current JR’s have 2 full years to show that they can make it at the next level before having to decide to come back for their SR year.

I heard the Winter sports thing but haven’t seen anything official from the NCAA that this definitely includes BB

Article

NCAA Winter Sports

I would be very surprised if Oscar or DC remain at WVU after this year. The only way I could see it would be if the Draft is disrupted by Covid-19 again.

Agree with Oscar.  Derek will prolly stay IMO.  2 reasons.  1. he would benefit from an extra year and not have to deal with being behind Oscar on the roster when NBA scouts look at both for the draft.  2. Momma Culver said early on that the education was on top of her list.  That’s why she took Derek by the ear his first semester and settled him down and made him go to class. Don’t get on Momma’s bad side.  She will guide him in the right direction.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Scholarship limits are 85 for football and 13 for bball …. but ?