Sec Now

• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated by Del Griffith.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Do you think that WVU would stand a chance to get in if the SEC added four more teams to  make it a 20 team conference??

No, if they add more, it would be bigger fish than WV.  Clemson and Miami maybe.  FSU perhaps.

What we’ve learned over the many years of conference realignment is you can never say never. In 2009, who would have thought WVU would soon be a member of the Big 12 and would eventually spend at least a decade in that conference? Because of that, I can not predict that West Virginia will never be a member of the SEC, but I do think it’s very unlikely. Like CC, I think if the SEC looks to add more teams, it will target current ACC (Clemson and Florida State most likely) and maybe even Big Ten members (Ohio State and Michigan?). I think the Mountaineers’ best (and maybe even only) hope of finding a spot in a major conference is in the ACC. I hope they eventually have that opportunity.

The ACC w/ ND has a single spot open.  I really see Cincinnati or Central Florida in that spot with a lean to Central Florida.

Big10 has two spots.  I won’t even waste any time there.

Does the B12 raid the AAC or does the AAC raid the B12?  Does the B12 go to 16 teams before the ACC/SEC/B10 pillage anymore teams? Does the B10 grab a couple schools?

I suspect WVU will hitch their wagon to the B12 while waiting to see if they get that ACC or SEC offer.

What concerns me most is the B12 stays at 8 or only goes back to 10. What happens if the B12 lose more schools?

I think WVU hitches their wagon and rides the B12 til it busts hoping for a bigger fish. If conferences don’t roll to 16/20/24 teams, WVU could be on the outside looking in.

Goinv back to only 10 is a death wish. Should have added 4 a few years ago but the powers that be and most of the prognosticators on these boards were so shortsighted they only looked at current income.

Nobody looked at security and stabilization of the future. Adding 4 then would/could have kept this conference at a P5 level.

I agree but who do you add?  How can you convince the current schools to hang on? Most, if not all, schools remaining in the B12 would bolt in a heartbeat.  WVU included. It’s the smart thing to do.

I don’t think it’s realistic to poach anyone from the B10 or Pac12.  Who in their right mind would give up stability for a potential sinking ship.

BYU – Maybe but it would require some concessions.

MW? – Just say no.  Please.

in the AAC:

Cinci – Would be a good add with what Fickel is doing there.  It would also pave way for Cinci to keep him.

Tulsa?

Memphis?

UCF – eh… sucky travel.

SMU?

Houston – Yeah

Navy – Being a vet myself I love me some military academy schools but I just can’t see it.

Tulane?

ECU – Same issue as UCF

Temple?

USF?

Best case scenario is no school jumps ship.  BYU, Cinci, Tulsa and Houston rounds everything at 12.  The B12 would become the AAC West.

Drop the bottom 3 and combine both conferences? – Doesn’t being value.

Other conferences will be looking to cherry pick the B12 and AAC. I can’t see the B12 remaining viable even at 12 or 16 teams.

Ok, not sure how to format that message.  Sorry folks.

Again, the #1 priority will be can WVU get more conference payouts annually from another conference and, for the conferences, which teams can we add that will mean more annual payouts for the CURRENT members? Increasing conference revenue is meaningless if it doesn’t increase the revenue of current members. Why take a pay cut to add members?

No matter what, WVU will take a hit. $$$ will be less in ACC. Significantly less if B12 stays intact.

WVU can not afford to stay a new version of Big 12 and their 20 million dollar TV contract. It’s a money loser with the amount of travel that would be done and no security. Would always be looking over your shoulder for another shoe to drop.

If The SEC and several others idea is to break away from NCAA then just do it and be over with it so we can all get back to regular college football.

Realign all conferences by regions for all of us left behind. There would still be some great football teams.

Goinv back to only 10 is a death wish. Should have added 4 a few years ago but the powers that be and most of the prognosticators on these boards were so shortsighted they only looked at current income.

Nobody looked at security and stabilization of the future. Adding 4 then would/could have kept this conference at a P5 level.

Agreed that adding just a couple of teams is a bare stopgap. However, the determining factor in all expansion has been income and revenue.

Additionally, adding four teams at that time would not have changed anything that is playing out now. It would not have prevented the UTOU departure that has happened now, nor would it have made it more stable — any more than adding four teams now will.

Finally, the Big 12 will keep its CFP auto qualifier spot for at least the next few years, whether it stays at 8 teams or adds more.

ACC money will not stay as low as it is now, the ACC tv contract is massively undervalued and WHEN the ACC expands within the coming year a contract renegotiation for tv revenue will be triggered.  ESPN will pay the ACC commensurate to other major conferences like the B1G and SEC, they can’t afford to lose 50 to 75% of the densely populated east coast by letting another broadcast entity like Fox to pay the fair market value for ACC content.  Now I don’t know if the school the ACC selects for expansion will be WVU, but it should be.  UCF makes no sense because the ACC already owns Florida from Tallahassee to Miami…..the Seminole and Hurricanes would melt down if UCF is invited.  If the ACC did invite UCF it would be like begging for FSU and Miami to defect to the SEC.  Cincinnati has some positives but no rabid fan base like WVU that can drive excitement in already established, heated rivalries.  And finally…..NOTRE DAME IS NOT JOINING A CONFERENCE RIGHT NOW.

“ Finally, the Big 12 will keep its CFP auto qualifier spot for at least the next few years, whether it stays at 8 teams or adds more.”

Maybe not in revenue but, this is a benefit to WVU in terms of chances at conference and national championships!
    This objective seems to have gotten lost in the real world of college sports, “Big Business”!
    TU and OU prove this!

Adding 4 teams a few years back would not change what is happening now and would have left the Big12 in even worse shape.  Also I think WV’s chance to jump to ACC only comes if the SEC adds Clemson and FSU.  Which leaves the ACC weakened almost as badly as the Big 12.  Will the Big 10 jump at some ACC schools?  Perhaps, but they could choose to merge with the PAC 12 instead.  ND is the big prize, but what has changed to make them do anything?  I think the odds right now would be some sort of merger of whatever Big 12 schools remain with the AAC.  Sad but true

I think the ACC will invite WVU within the year.  The ACC DESPERATELY NEEDS to expand to trigger a TV contract renegotiation,  and ND will not join soon, inviting UCF would tick off FSU and Miami, and Cincinnati all alone wouldn’t provide excitement.  The only rational expansion choice with, or without ND, is WVU.  Now, WVU DOES NOT need to add value by themselves in order for the ACC to increase revenue because it is common knowledge that the current ACC contract is vastly underpaid…..if negotiations occur then ESPN will be forced to pay to keep the ACC which sits in the densely populated east coast.  Now if ESPN wants to destroy WVU we might see them offer to renegotiate the ACC TV deal without expanding…..that move would clearly target WVU.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.