Sorry to beat a dead horse but…

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Sorry to beat a dead horse but…

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Butlereer Butlereer .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

No more #23 please. He has disrupted the team and underperformed for 4 years only to be treated like a star by Huggs.

Biggest critique ever of Huggs will be his handling of this kid who quite simply isn’t who anyone thought he was.

And I put that squarely in Esa (you have talent, just no work ethic, desire or ability to learn) and Huggs (consummate enabler in this scenario).

Let’s move on… PLEASE!!!!?????

Plenty of things for him to work on.

42 Asst…..  62 TO’s.  He just can’t handle the ball inside and tries to dribble in traffic every time

24% from 3.  He should never be allowed to step outside of the circle on O.  Never

FT’s .654    He needs to be over 70% and should be in the mid 70’s.

Well, he’s been here for 4 years and still is a liability with the ball in his hands.

To his credit, when he plays his game along the baseline and within 12 ft, he can score in bunches and pick up a lot of rebounds.  But he seems to like to roam outside.

No more #23 please. He has disrupted the team and underperformed for 4 years only to be treated like a star by Huggs. Biggest critique ever of Huggs will be his handling of this kid who quite simply isn’t who anyone thought he was. And I put that squarely in Esa (you have talent, just no work ethic, desire or ability to learn) and Huggs (consummate enabler in this scenario). Let’s move on… PLEASE!!!!?????

He was leading scorer for WVU tonight.

14 points 7 rbs. but 3 TO’s as well.

For as much as he does good he does bad as well.

The only player with over 10 points.

Looks like this team is heading down the path of Gale Catlett’s last team after he left from a so called illness.   He saw it coming.  Mountaineers lost 18 of their last 19 games.  Looks like WVU will end the season on a 10 game losing skid!!!  Finish with a record of 10 and 24.  Hope it doesn’t happen, but it looks very feasible right now.   This could set the program back 3 years.  Don’t know if Huggs can fix this train wreck anytime soon!!!!

It is a true oddity that Esa is the leading scorer and I want him benched as well.

OK, I’ll be the one!
    Keep the faith, ESA!
    I never did buy the criticism that he doesn’t give effort.
    He makes his share of mistakes but I really think he
    tries. It shows in his mannerisms on court!
    His supposed ups and downs are not unique to him
    on the team. Could it be that every team and every
    game present a different set of circumstances
    that solicit different game plans that call for different
    player reactions?
    NAH! They’re all the same! Right?

To weigh in, and FWIW: Esa never has produced, although there have been flashes of what was expected of him, fair or not in my own little assessment. Perhaps he’s the victim of those expectations, but personally, I think that’s horse hockey. In LIFE, those that finally grab that brass ring are able to do that for more than one singular reason (talent)–HARD WORK, DETERMINATION, and an unyielding denial that they won’t succeed, despite what they’ve been told, is the recipe for success. Doubt that, and look no further than Jevon Carter. Need more evidence as a Mountaineer fan? How does becoming the NBA logo fit the example of that???

I think Huggs has HAD to keep Ahmad in the lineup, simply because he’s had no other choice. I’m convinced it’s that simple.

To compound this, there have been injuries–real ones (Beetle, God bless him) or imagined…and I’ll leave further commentary at that.

This season is over. It was several weeks ago for those of us that saw the warnings signs and could sift through the excuses that permeated this “team.” The most disparaging thing from this fan’s standpoint is knowing the potential hasn’t been this high in recent memory going into it, despite JC and Dax’s departures–the result of which is a Chinese fire drill gone sour.

These things–ALL of them should have been ironed out in the pre-season. And if it took more time, that’s what the non-conference schedule is supposed to be for. But it all spilled over into the REAL schedule–and has, with a couple or three exceptions, gotten progressively worse, that not even ‘the friendly confines of the Coliseum’ can solve.

To wit, there are more quitters on this “team” than doers–besides the glaring reality that this ship has NOT a rudder in sight. Instead, the convictions of many on this team, that each one individually is a “superstar” waiting to rake in the cash, that will ultimately wind up being just another D-1 basketball player (#23, et al.) whose dreams ended right here as a result, even in a last gasp to prove otherwise, even to the scouts that are drawn to watch an opposing player, truth be told.

A very sad time for a Mountaineer fan…

Esa certainly puts up the numbers.  Most min/gm.  decent fg % @ 46%+, reb increased each year to 5.8, ppg increased this year to 12.  He’s lacking in FT % @ 65% and 3pt @ 24%.  One thing that is dramatically glaring is he has 62 TO’s so far this year.

That being said, your comment that he hasn’t produced is correct.  He hasn’t produced to the level we would expect a high 4* player would.  And not where a player that tested the NBA waters last year.  One would think that he would be much more into the game…. every game ….. for 40 mins. His laps of judgement doesn’t show up in the stats.  Too many lazy passes.  To many easy passes to him not caught that are TO’s given to the other player.  On top of that one would expect that the only SR on this team would be a leader on the floor, in the locker room and on the practice floor…….. any or all of the three.  But Esa has shown no leadership abilities.

Instead what we (or at least I) see is a player that is playing for himself.  Shooting way too many shots from 3.  Playing outside the arc on O asking for the ball.  His best play is close to the basket on O and D, getting garbage rebounds, setting up for the 7-10 ft shot.  That’s where his numbers come from and could be much better if he would stay down low.  But it seems like he’s taking the Sags rout in wanting to develop his game outside and dribble drive from 21 ft.  Both of which he’s not capable of …… at least at this point in a game. Why?  Maybe he doesn’t practice those fundamentals on the practice floor.

IMO, and I am certainly no expert here, Huggs has to play him because he has no choice.  Who do you replace him with early in the season?  Harris? West? Esa is the best of the 3.  It may have been different if Culver were available from day 1 and Sags had not had his injuries, but they both weren’t available.  Matthews isn’t ready but should get major mins from here on out.

Point being that we expect more out of our SR’s.  Especially ones that seemingly have great potential.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Sorry to beat a dead horse but…