Student Loan Relief

Home Page forums Pulitzer Prize Student Loan Relief

• This topic has 12 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated by Butlereer.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Why?
    Proposal would relieve up to $50,000 on a loan!
    What about those who chose NOT to pursue a college degree?
    Should they also be given a $50,000 matching fund?
    Should a student who chooses a high cost institution to major in a less rewarding occupational outcome be rewarded over a high school graduate that chooses to enter into the work force or other non college field? Trade, military etc!?
    And what restrictions on colleges are there to the raising of tuitions?
    What incentive do they have to cut costs?
    Wouldn’t this action be incentive to do the opposite?
    And guess which class of society it favors?

Hey ……  I want some of that relief money.  I put 2 kids thru school.  My wife and I paid for our own education.   My son paid off his wife’s loans.  And believe me, it takes a lot of loans to get your PHD when you don’t have a job for any of the 8+ years you are in school.   Oh, yes, and she’s a bleeding heart L.  A few years after they were married she told me that she wasn’t worried about the loans because Obama would forgive all of them.  Love her to death, but she’s been hoodwinked like the rest of the Left.

Where’s my money?????????  

Actually agree with you on this Butlereer.  College costs too much but loan forgiveness seems unfair to people who paid already.

Or those who never went to college because they thought they couldn’t afford it

Cc, how true, how true.  Tons of kids didn’t take out loans to go to school because they couldn’t afford to pay them back or they just couldn’t get a loan.  That may have kept them out of school.  On the other hand they may have been forced to go another route.  Trade School?  Community College?  Apprenticeship for a trade?  Armed Forces?  Lots of ways to get into a good paying career rather than going to college.

Tuition at public four-year colleges should be free (as well as all community and technical colleges and school).  Investing in human capital will enhance our competitiveness with emerging powers like China and India.  As for loan forgiveness, it should be means-tested.  Not everyone who went to college got a degree and now are saddled with debt they can’t repay, and a lot of people with bachelors degrees aren’t high earners because the value of a bachelors degree is much less than it was 20 to 30 years ago.  As for people like me, who paid off their student loans long ago, why should I be entitled to anything?  I’m not suffering financially, but there are a lot of young adults with staggering debt.  They are suffering financially, and it would be good public policy to assist them.  Why is it good public policy?  The 1.6 trillion dollars in student debt is a drag on our economy.  It’s making if difficult for people to buy homes and other goods and services.  The debt is depressing aggregate demand, and it would help the economy and all of us if some of this debt is forgiven.

I forgot to add:  administrators at our colleges and universities earn salaries that are ridiculous.  Not much you can do about that at private schools, but for state colleges and universities, it’s time for the state governments to step in with direct controls on administrators’ salaries.

I forgot to add:  administrators at our colleges and universities earn salaries that are ridiculous.  Not much you can do about that at private schools, but for state colleges and universities, it’s time for the state governments to step in with direct controls on administrators’ salaries.

OldGuy, this is something that we can agree on.  People complain about the salaries of Corporate CEO’s but say nothing about Academia.  At least most CEO’s are held accountable for their results.  When was the last time a Professor was fired?  College Pres rotate from school to school without being held accountable at any stop.  And what is this about Tenure?  What a joke.  There should be some metric for teachers actually teaching kids.  Never was, never will be.

I see some of your point about past tuitions OldGuy. But where and how do you dole out the freebees?  Does the kid that should have never have gone to school and flunked out get reimbursed?  Should the kid that was top 10% in HS but partied all the time and flunked out be reimbursed?  Should the kid that has parents who could have footed the bill but didn’t and he/she is saddled with a mountain of debt be reimbursed?  How do you quantify who gets it and who doesn’t?

I struggled thru school with little cash in my pocket, working part time to be able to go out on a date, bought used books, my wardrobe fit into one suitcase, thumbed home for a weekend visit. Worked every summer and took all the overtime I could without taking the normal week or more at the beach vacation like a lot of my Frat Bros so I could have enough money for the next year.  With a little help from my parents I didn’t have to take out loans.  All this and I thought I was way better off than some.

Today many of the kids with these high dollar loans are living large.  Cars, Clothes, Parties ….. All at the expense of having money in their pocket that they don’t realize that it will have to be paid back later.  And you think that I need to bail them out because they aren’t smart enough to spend their money wisely?

Free tuition for Community College may be the route to take.  Get your Associates Degree, come out and get a job where you can make a little cash to put yourself thru school to get a Bachelors.  Don’t have to live on campus.  Don’t even have to attend class in person.  On line degrees out there can be had for cheap.

I don’t want to pay for your 4 years of good times and partying.

Tuition was $125 per semester when I went first time. Now it’s 4,500 and 13,000 for non residents. Not counting lab fees, books and costly housing.

yer could get a degree without going 20,000 and more in debt depending on degree.

we need free college, trade schools, guilds, whatnot, an educated and skilled workforce making good money

not greedy rich men trying to take it all

Start off with specific Community Colleges and Trade schools subsidized by Gov’t. Want a BS? BA? MA? PHD? Get your Associates for free then work to finish your degree at any college or university that you can afford.
    I have lots of friends and their kids that started at places like BC3 for a couple years to keep the cost down then went on to a 4 year college.
    Absolutely we should NOT pay for someone that racked up student debt on their credit card or took out loans so they didn’t have to work during school. There were and still are better options than taking out huge loans. Just because those “students” didn’t take the best option don’t ask me to foot the bill for their inability to comprehend what this debt would do to their future.

Typical “Government” project, definition: waste of time and money! Has there ever been a study or anything done to establish the worth or benefit of the government paying for an individual or group college education? If so, was it broken down into the fields of study? And to whom or what was the benefit? If not, why would it be done and who would even promote such a program? It might be suggested, if it could ever be done, that a reverse engineering study be done on all successful (subjective?) individuals to ascertain their field(s) of study that led to their current status. Or on some aggregate, philosophically defined concept in the same maner? Weather this process be defined as practical or convoluted, without this reasoning being done, there is no way in hell that paying for college educations can be defended by government!!

Tuition was $125 per semester when I went first time. Now it’s 4,500 and 13,000 for non residents. Not counting lab fees, books and costly housing.

yer could get a degree without going 20,000 and more in debt depending on degree.

we need free college, trade schools, guilds, whatnot, an educated and skilled workforce making good money

not greedy rich men trying to take it all

And just who are those greedy rich men trying to take it all?  Way overpaid College Presidents, Professors, Administrators, most of which can’t be fired because of tenure and almost all of whom are politically far Left.

We finally agree on something.  Trade schools could be set up as free.  Then if you want a degree, use your trade to make the money you need to get your degree.   I would think that most that get into the trades will find out that they can make more money in their trade than with a degree.  Many that start out in a trade find themselves owning their own small business associated with their trade.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums Pulitzer Prize Student Loan Relief