Team Play

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Team Play

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Butlereer Butlereer .

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

mexman
    Muskets:

Yesterday was the first time in quite a while that we saw a true team effort.

Not everyone played well and not everyone played hard throughout but, We got meaningful contributions from 10 of the 11 available players. That only leaves out Chase who didn’t get in enough to really contribute.

Probably best game of the year for Dax. Not from a scoring standpoint perhaps but overall he was solid all around.

Only nitpick could be with the 3-4 spots minus Allen. Probably need more from Esa, West and Wes going forward but when everyone is chipping in and playing solid they don’t have to be spectacular.

Big difference from JC and Sags carrying all the weight.

Greg Hunter
    Greg Hunter
    Muskets:

I agree that this team is better when everyone is involved and not just relying on Jevon to get 33. Out of the four forward, I think we’ve learned that getting two of them to play well in the same game is probably what you can hope for. Esa didn’t do much last night (3 points) and Lamont was just OK (6 points on two of three from three-point range), but I thought Harris (11 points) and Allen (16 points and six rebounds) were pretty good. On another night, it may be two other forwards, but as long as its at least two, WVU’s OK. But on those nights when only one or none are playing well, that’s not good for WVU’s hopes. At least that’s my opinion.

Ccteam
    Muskets:

Harris looked better than I have personally seen so far. 2 blocks early, and 3 threes. Plus a couple of good traps in the press.

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets:

I was impressed with Teddy. He played within himself for the first time. Harris did look good. Bender came alive for once. Sitting Sags was a risk but it paid off well.

Ccteam
    Muskets:

If Teddy can keep his ego in check enough to keep learning Huggins will make him a great college player.

wvulockerroom
    wvulockerroom
    Muskets:

When we rely on Carter too much, we lose. We are 0-3 when Carter scores 26 or more pts

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets:

In two of those L’s he had only 2 and 4 assts., his lowest of the season. Maybe it’s not as much of relying on Carter to score as it is on Carter to be the floor general and get everybody involved.

NoPittyHere
    Muskets:

If Teddy can keep his ego in check enough to keep learning Huggins will make him a great college player.

I thought that was pivotal in the game. He was witnessed actually dishing some passes instead of merely bulling his way to the rim, as has been his MO. It was good to see.

mexman
    Muskets:

I agree that this team is better when everyone is involved and not just relying on Jevon to get 33. Out of the four forward, I think we’ve learned that getting two of them to play well in the same game is probably what you can hope for. Esa didn’t do much last night (3 points) and Lamont was just OK (6 points on two of three from three-point range), but I thought Harris (11 points) and Allen (16 points and six rebounds) were pretty good. On another night, it may be two other forwards, but as long as its at least two, WVU’s OK. But on those nights when only one or none are playing well, that’s not good for WVU’s hopes. At least that’s my opinion.

Good point on Harris. I guess I simply overlooked his solid, workman-like performance, which may actually be a compliment to his game. Just a guy that battles, does a little of this and a little of that and will never by “the hero” but always an important piece.

With Allen I fear we need to pump the brakes there again. Even with a very good performance there are signs of lingering issues. His interactions with Huggs are a little too 2-sided if you know what I mean and his post game interviews was quite frankly disturbing. Had to ask what was the question multiple times when the reporters are right beside him talking in his ear. Let’s just say I sincerely doubt its a “hearing” issue on his part. Truly hope I’m wrong but something just seems odd.

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder
    Muskets:

I can say that some of the “questions” asked by some “media” members are pretty bad, and I can understand why players ask them to be repeated.

That said, I think Allen is always going to be a guy that speaks up. That’s part of his competitiveness, I believe, and I wouldn’t want that stifled. There’s a line, though, as you point out, and finding that will continue to be a work in progress.

WVU does best when all 10 players have their heads into the game.

WVU beat Oklahoma even though the Sooners have the best shooter in America because the depth was better.

Jevon is incredibly valuable because he’s the glue, the on-court coach, the waters-calmer.

The others are streaky but that’s OK as long as the one that’s hot is fed the ball more.

But our Press Virginia has not been as ferocious lately as it was against Virginia. That needs to be cranked up for the rest of the season.

This is a team that can beat any team in America … as long as it doesn’t beat itself.

mexman
    Muskets:

Jevon is incredibly valuable because he’s the glue, the on-court coach, the waters-calmer

I’m not sure about that. To me that seems to be the one thing lacking in Jevon.

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets:

JC is definitely not the Nate of last year. You could just feel the calmness on the court when Nate was there to head the press and handle the ball at the top of the key.

JC seems way to sporadic when we get down in the clock. He looks to drive the lane way too much without kicking out to the open man. We rarely hit the open guy ( or even have an open guy) in the corner when JC drives. It seems at times he’s the second coming of Truck. We just don’t know how to move the ball. Maybe it’s because we just don’t know how to move without the ball. In any case, there isn’t the leader on the floor that directs the play like we had with Nate last year.

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder
    Muskets:

Fair points on this. I credit JC for this – when things break down or guys aren’t running the set or making the wrong reads, he’s trying to create. That’s not his game, but he’s not throwing up his hands and doing nothing.

As noted, WVU isn’t consistent at moving the ball. It does so at times, and when all five guys run motion and make the right reads, it usually gets a good shot. But WVU might be one of the worst teams in the country at throwing the ball into the post. They don’t create good angles, throw it to the defender’s side instead of away, and don’t hit the target where the post guy is calling for the ball. That’s frustrating, because those opportunities are there at times.

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets:

KK, agreed on JC. Things break down too much and he is forced to create. Teddy is better at creating maybe only because of his size being able to bull his way thru the paint. JC has come a long way at becoming a very good PG. Defense first IMO has hindered his progression as a leader and distributor on O. He does get his fair share of assists, but he could be much more effective if he had that create your own shot ability. It’s coming, but not to the extent of the good PG’s of the B12. I guess some of that has to do with the rest of the team not being in position or their ability to handle a pass….. or even pass it when they get it. This team is still trying to find it’s identity. Young guys in 3 positions for the first part of the year slows down the development.

We thought Esa would be the stabilizing force at 3/4/5, but he is still getting his game together. Even at that, he’s not the floor leader that we are looking for. Great athlete…. Can score when his head is in the game ….. but he has to have someone deliver the ball to him. I don’t know that he’s remotely ready for the next level yet.

Papillion
    Muskets:

JC is definitely not the Nate of last year. You could just feel the calmness on the court when Nate was there to head the press and handle the ball at the top of the key.

JC seems way to sporadic when we get down in the clock. He looks to drive the lane way too much without kicking out to the open man. We rarely hit the open guy ( or even have an open guy) in the corner when JC drives. It seems at times he’s the second coming of Truck. We just don’t know how to move the ball. Maybe it’s because we just don’t know how to move without the ball. In any case, there isn’t the leader on the floor that directs the play like we had with Nate last year.

Are you kidding? I wished he was the second coming of Truck because he either got the basket or the foul. He was uncanny getting something out of his drives four of five times he drove. Carter rarely gets anything.

mexman
    Muskets:

Correct, I would guess that a rather high percentage of JC’s forays into the paint end in a block or turnover.

Both he and Dax tend to EXPECT the foul call and contort their body in a way that minimizes actual contact and thus gives the officials a chance to not call the foul. We know we get the short end of the whistle but sometimes we don’t do ourselves any favors. If you are driving amongst the trees drawing the foul is priority one and in my mind they lose sight of that most times.

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets:

We can agree to disagree on Truck. JC’s numbers show about 8% higher total FG %. 5+% 3pt% and a few more PPG. That being said, those numbers don’t show how either did in the paint. All I can say is that I remember Truck going into the paint way too often and getting hammered. Much like JC. But you may be right about Truck’s ability to handle the bumping better and maybe not getting stuffed as much. JC just doesn’t give the team the opportunity to receive the ball when he drives. Sometimes because it’s way too late in the shot clock. Sometimes because he just draws help and they know he hardly ever dishes it off and he gets stuffed. We know we have a great passer coming in next year ….. maybe two.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Team Play