The Film Room: West Virginia Mountaineers – Texas Longhorns

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports The Film Room: West Virginia Mountaineers – Texas Longhorns

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  WVFaninMI .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

The Film Room: West Virginia Mountaineers – Texas Longhorns As Neal Brown said immediately following West Virginia’s loss to Texas, a review of the ga
    [See the full post at: The Film Room: West Virginia Mountaineers – Texas Longhorns]

I understand the coaching explanation of the final clip but come on those are the kind of things that separate bad from good and good from great. The QB has to see that it’s not there, not even close and look at other routes. To absolve Kendall on that one is purely coachspeak in my opinion.

This was Kendall’s 5th college start and going against a top 10 team. He will have his ups and downs like most first time qb’s. Against a top 10 team those mistakes add up quickly. He will get better as the whole team will with experience. We are playing a lot of young kids this year.

I understand the coaching explanation of the final clip but come on those are the kind of things that separate bad from good and good from great. The QB has to see that it’s not there, not even close and look at other routes. To absolve Kendall on that one is purely coachspeak in my opinion.

I agree with your point to the level that you hope a QB can recognize a situation and get out of it if it doesn’t appear to be one that has any chance of success.

I will add that Sean Reagan said the play was a rhythm throw, that Kendall drops three steps and lets the ball go before the receiver is out of his break. There’s no time on plays like this to look at the DB, other than presnap, and he wasn’t up in press coverage – he’s 8 yards off. He gambles on the play and gets rewarded, but had WVU called and out and up there it would have had a 60-yard TD. Not many plays where that sort of chance is taken, becasues it’s big risk-reward.

That said, if Kendall can pick up that he’s driving on the ball early, he might not throw it there, but such hesitation can often result in the ball coming out late, which is more of a problem.

I understand mex’s point, but I would not classify this as coachspeak.  Reagan explained what happened, and it does make sense to me.

Being that this was a called rhythm throw, I am much more inclined now to give Kendall a pass on this one.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports The Film Room: West Virginia Mountaineers – Texas Longhorns