The Film Room: West Virginia Mountaineers – Texas Longhorns

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports The Film Room: West Virginia Mountaineers – Texas Longhorns

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Kevin Kinder Kevin Kinder .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder
    Muskets: 8,975

The Film Room: West Virginia Mountaineers – Texas Longhorns Texas has been using what amounts to a 3-2-6 defense, with a pair from the back number ser
    [See the full post at: The Film Room: West Virginia Mountaineers – Texas Longhorns]

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets: 82,060

Clip 4. On that cheap shot by Foster I’m screaming at the TV…. Where’s the Flag….

And you’re right on the penalties overall. Some were good calls, but more were just out of wack. Horns down a PF, unsportsman like? BS……. If it were horns up when TX scored is that a penalty?

Butlereer
    Butlereer

On the 2pt conversion, had McCulloch (23) not bit on the inside run, Will would have been toast. When will cut to the outside I was looking for Sills to cut across the back of the end zone. That would have been a tough throw with Will going to the left and Sills to the right. But it worked well when McCulloch lost his jock on Will’s cut.

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder

On the 2pt conversion, had McCulloch (23) not bit on the inside run, Will would have been toast. When will cut to the outside I was looking for Sills to cut across the back of the end zone. That would have been a tough throw with Will going to the left and Sills to the right. But it worked well when McCulloch lost his jock on Will’s cut.

Yeahbut,

If he stays outside, Will has the seam in the B gap between Wickline and Sills. Sills has already turned 90 degrees to seal the inside, and Wick has his guy locked up. There are also two other good seals on the interior OLine.

I agree it would have been much closer, but I am pretty confident he would have gotten in. Good thing we didn’t have to find out though!

Butlereer
    Butlereer

I see the B gap seam. Very narrow but there. Glad we didn’t have to see Will tiptoe thru that gap.

going frame by frame, it looks like Wickline may have gotten away with a hold as he turns his guy completely around. The DE is outside Will looking straight at him when Will takes his first step to the outside then in Will’s next 3 steps Will and DE are even then the DE gets turned around completely.

Ccteam
    Muskets: 68,399

Don’t see the possible hold by Wickline. Looks like the end and linebacker were both trying to cover the inside gap, they tur Ned that way, Grier went outside and they couldn’t turn and pursue fast enough.

wvucinci
    Muskets: 5,815

On the 1st clip, the pass to Haskins, looks like Hardy is downfield from the get go. Don’t know the rules well enough to know whether there is an allowable distance he is allowed to be downfield, but he is definitively downfield.

Butlereer
    Butlereer

CCteam
    start at the 7 second mark. Will is heading to the B gap. Safety closing in. DE moving to his left to close out.
    In the middle of the 7 second mark (about 8 frames) Will makes a crossover step to the outside. DE is square to Wickline being moved to the outside.
    At the last frame of the 7 second mark Will is behind the 4 yd line going outside. DE is engaged with Wickline with his shoulders square to Will and at least 1 yd outside of him.
    About 4 frames later DE has Wickline on his left shoulder still square and outside of Will when Will is at the 4.
    Half way thru 8 seconds DE is completely outside. Wickline’s head and shoulders clearly behind DE but still engaged. Will at 4. DE at the 1 and has clear shot even with him.
    At end of 8, will is clearly past DE still at the 4. DE has Wickline on his back and looks like he’s being pushed.
    About 4 frames into the 9 sec mark, DE stumbles to his right into the end zone and out of the play. Will at ehe 3+ yd line with an easy path to the goal.
    Toward the end of 9 sec you can see the DE stumbling into the end zone, starting to fall on his face and sealing off the S. Will at the 3 gliding in easily.

Now…. I reviewed this frame by frame with a co-worker. He was an OL for Navy in the late 80’s and his brother was an OL for PSU. He said that Wickline prolly used one of their old tricks. When a DL gets by you and you are still close enough, when he makes his turn to get away, you push down on his outside hip to turn him completely around. You have to be very close and engaged or it will be called a block in the back if you hold it too long. But if you do it while he is turning it spins the guy away from the runner.

That could be the reason you see the DE stumble when he had outside position and seemingly a clear shot. If the DE didn’t stumble, he prolly still wouldn’t have been fast enough to make the play, but who knows.

Butlereer
    Butlereer

Kevin ….. Thanks for the good work on this again. This thread IMO is the best thread on any of the message boards on any site. I’m surprised that more posters from other sites haven’t matriculated here just to see your work. Well, on second thought, most of those posters on the other sites aren’t smart enough to know what you’ve broken down for us.

Butlereer
    Butlereer

Tried to bump this earlier. For those of you that haven’t gone thru all the clips, do so. You don’t get any better than this. NOBODY on any other site breaks down parts of the game like this. KK must put together Wolfman’s segments for him. Great job.
    I would tag this on other sites, but have been chastised for linking BGN articles in the past. Even though I just wanted to get some great info out there to the masses.

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder

On the 1st clip, the pass to Haskins, looks like Hardy is downfield from the get go. Don’t know the rules well enough to know whether there is an allowable distance he is allowed to be downfield, but he is definitively downfield.

An ineligible receiver can be up to three yards downfield legally. Slowing that down and looking at it, Hardy is just two yards downfield when the ball comes out of Grier’s hands.

wvucinci
    Muskets: 5,815

excellent work and thanks for the clarification

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder

Now…. I reviewed this frame by frame with a co-worker. He was an OL for Navy in the late 80’s and his brother was an OL for PSU. He said that Wickline prolly used one of their old tricks. When a DL gets by you and you are still close enough, when he makes his turn to get away, you push down on his outside hip to turn him completely around. You have to be very close and engaged or it will be called a block in the back if you hold it too long. But if you do it while he is turning it spins the guy away from the runner.

That could be the reason you see the DE stumble when he had outside position and seemingly a clear shot. If the DE didn’t stumble, he prolly still wouldn’t have been fast enough to make the play, but who knows.

Nice work! Thanks to you and your co-worker for the insight.

One note, there is no blocking in the back inside the tackle box within three yards of the line of scrimmage on either side, so no penalty there.

Butlereer
    Butlereer

My friend added the possible blocking foul because he thought that Wickline and the DE were moving toward the sideline and could have been called outside of the box. It’s interesting to hear different techniques from those who have played the position at a high level.

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder

That’s an interesting angle. I would think that if the block started inside the box, it would be ok, but you never know what someone else’s interpretation migght be.

100% agree on getting that input from other perspectives and from those who have lived it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports The Film Room: West Virginia Mountaineers – Texas Longhorns