Thin at LB?

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Thin at LB?

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated by Kevin KinderKevin Kinder.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Forgive me as I’ve been out of the country the past few months but I just noticed that both Qualls and Ferns(again) are both injured and may miss the season? WTH happened?

Forgive me as I’ve been out of the country the past few months but I just noticed that both Qualls and Ferns(again) are both injured and may miss the season? WTH happened?

Welcome back!

Both suffered injuries in the spring. However, both could be ready to play by November, which would put them (especially Qualls) into the range of using the four-game redshirt rule that would allow him to play this year and not use a year of eligibility.

That’s all very tentative of course. Depends on their rehab and recovery, etc. Also, Ferns could make a request for a medical redshirt since he’s missed multiple years with injuries.

Ferns just can’t get a break. Every year it seems he’s laid up. 3rd year, 3rd injury?

The injuries to Ferns and Qualls do leave WVU thin at the linebacker position. Obviously David Long is irreplaceable at any point, but Dylan Tonkery and Charles Benton need to stay healthy also. It will help if young linebackers like Exree Loe and Josh Chandler develop quickly. And if WVU can get through the first eight games or so, maybe Ferns and Qualls will then be healthy enough to help out for a few games if needed.

We can quickly see where the lack of bodies at certain positions hurts. With only 3 upper classmen (Jr’s, Sr’s) this squad will have to rely on the FR/SO’s to step up quickly. This is what happens when we are 8 (?) shy of the 85 allowed schollie players. We’ve had a rash of kids leave these past couple years. The restrictions on numbers of recruits per year hurts.

It does, but that’s something every program has to deal with. Unexpected dismissals and departures can have an outsized toll.

This is very early in terms of watching, as we’ve had just a few minutes of observation per position so far, and we’ll get the chance to talk to the assistant coaches today. I like the way Josh Chandler moves, and he’s really solid at almost 230 pounds. I dind’t get a good look at Benton yet — will correct that in the next open session.

What would really be nice is if Zach Sandwisch and or Adam Hensley could get to the point where they can play some snaps without constituting a big drop off. They haven’t been ready for that yet, and have been mostly special teamers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Thin at LB?