Tight End Position Rears Head Again Versus WVU Defense In Finale

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Tight End Position Rears Head Again Versus WVU Defense In Finale

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ccteam .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Longtime Struggle Against The Position Again On Display Versus Oklahoma MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Oklahoma used one of West Virginia’s old nemesis against i
    [See the full post at: Tight End Position Rears Head Again Versus WVU Defense In Finale]

I hope our coaches learned something, namely, that throwing the ball to the tight end is an essential part of an effective offense.  Most NFL teams understand this, but Dana, strangely, apparently does not.

Dana (Spav) uses the TE as a 6th blocker almost entirely. Slipping this guy out over the middle at times will hold the LB’s in place. Even I know that.

For the life of me, i have never understood how Dana will not commit to using TE for passing. Definitely does not make sense how he has not learned this though the years. it could create such a huge mismatch.

WVU’s use of the tight end is going to change in the future. The Mountaineers are dedicating too many scholarships to the position for it not to be a major factor down the line. Jovanni Haskins, the transfer from Miami, will be eligible next season. I haven’t seen enough of him in a scrimmage situation to know if he can play a lick, but he’s one of the best looking athletes (6-4, 245 lbs.) I’ve seen at WVU. Haskins will be a sophomore next year and Trevon Wesco will be a senior. Then add the two high school commitments (T.J. Banks and Mike O’Laughlin) to the mix, and now WVU has a least four tight ends, and three of them (Haskins, Banks and O’Laughlin) all have the reputation as excellent pass catching tight ends as well. The use of this position certainly appears to be changing greatly at WVU. If the Mountaineers use all these scholarships on tight ends, and still use it as only an occasional blocker-only, then that is a huge mistake.

As pointed out in the film room article, WV made good use of Wesco in the run game against OK.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Tight End Position Rears Head Again Versus WVU Defense In Finale