Tony Gibson Promoted At N.C. State

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Tony Gibson Promoted At N.C. State

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated by Kevin KinderKevin Kinder.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Having parted ways with former defensive coordinator Dave Huxtable, who had served in that position at N.C. State from 2013-2019, Wolfpack head coach Dave Doeren has promoted former WVU coach Tony Gibson to the D.C. role. Gibson had been N.C. State’s safeties coach and co-defensive coordinator this past season. He’ll now oversee the Wolfpack linebackers and also will handle the defensive coordinator job.

Doeren has promoted the end of his tenure at NC State, wow, bad move!

Peter Principle

I say congratulations to Gibby. He is a player’s coach. I know the 3 man front is not something we will see in Morgantown in the foreseeable future, but I have always contended that WV was able to get more faster players on the field(and could recruit those guys more readily). Holgerson wasn’t always going to recruit offense first, so the defense had to make due with what they could get. I hope he is successful.

know the 3 man front is not something we will see in Morgantown in the foreseeable future

Well, maybe, maybe not.  WVU went to the four man front late in the season because it was out of playable bandits and so low on linebackers. If WVU gets players that can perform at bandit, there will be three man lines.

A couple of caveats here. First, I am not saying that WVU won’t play a four-man line at all. Talking with Vic Koenning, and seeing how the defense can morph pretty effectively, the four-man front will be a part of the defense. Also, if you consider the bandit a lineman because he lines up on the LOS a good bit, then you can call some of the fronts four man lines.

It may well work out that WVU’s best defense is a “true” four-man front with two DEs and two DLs next year. Just wanted to note that the three-man line isn’t going to go away, is still an option, and could be the best alignment against certain offenses.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Tony Gibson Promoted At N.C. State