Trey Doomes

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Trey Doomes

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  irishladdy .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

This kid lost his redshirt for 17 mins of action over 3 games?

I hope this increases over the rest of the season.

You never know how things are going to play out, but at this point I don’t see a major increase in minutes. Yes, he can drive it, and can leap, and could get to the line a few times. However, he’s not a polished jump shooter at this point, and defense is an issue.

Does this mean he can’t improve? No. His athleticism is great, and if he works at channeling that he could become a good defender. His shot form probably needs reworking, and it seems like that is already underway. Maybe those things come together quickly, and he is a help in a game here or there down the stretch. However, changes like that typically take longer to develop.

Think back to guys like Juwan Staten and JC. They had to work on their offensive skills for at least 2-3 years before they became the successful drivers and scorers of the ball they eventually became.

In Doomes favor, IMO he’s ahead of JC and Wanny in their first years in the ability to get to the rim. He has the size and strength to get there. Thing that holds most FR back is ability to D up. It’s a little different now than when those 2 were coming up. We just didn’t have the size underneath then and we had to play 3 and even 4 G’s. This gave those guys a lot more chance to get PT. G floor time this year is much more limited because of the depth we have at 3,4,5. I’d like to see Trey get more time on the floor also, but not at the expense of the game. I don’t know that it’s a waste of a year to play him. Even a few minutes a game will be valuable experience for next year.

Also, he was was not against playing at all. Not that it was his final decision, but he wanted to play.

I am generally not in favor of redshirting. Only one on this team that should redshirt (in my opinion) is Gordon. I think he needs the development year but understand Sags injury did not permit this

However, he’s not a polished jump shooter at this point, and defense is an issue.

Are you describing Chase Harler? He still gets plenty of minutes.

Harler’s D is definitely not nearly as good as we’ve seen from the G’s last year, but it’s much better than any other 2G we have.

Harler’s D is definitely not nearly as good as we’ve seen from the G’s last year, but it’s much better than any other 2G we have.

Who else are you calling a 2G on this roster?

He has better D than everybody than Beetle.

You didn’t really answer my question though.

Trey Doomes is really the only other SG on the roster. Bolden isn’t really a 2, Matthews is more of a 3 and the rest are PG’s.

We haven’t seen enough of a sample size to say much for sure about Doomes but I’m definitely not sold on Harler being anything more than an average defender.

Doomes = Adrian Pledger

Beetle is definitely a two – much more so than a point.

Putting labels on players can be difficult, and I am the first to say there’s a lot of wiggle room. The best players can be seamless – good step in shooter who can also handle the ball and drive it, for example, when we are talking about guards.

As for defense, WVU does not have a great defender at guard. Beetle has done well in improving from where he was when he came to WVU. He’s the best right now.

I think Jermaine would be second at this point. He gets his hands up well, and his positioning is usually pretty good, but like everyone else has trouble staying in front of those who drive the ball well.

Chase knows where to go, but his lack of quickness puts him at a disadvantage in the open court. He works hard, but it’s not his forte. At least he is in the right places.

Past that, no other guards, point or two, are even average defensively. That’s one of the many problems this year, obviously.

Offensively Beetle is more of a SG but I would say defensively, especially with Haley playing PG, he should be guarding the 1. Haley doesn’t have the footspeed to guard opposing point guards.

I thought Knapper played really good defensively last night. Usually his boneheaded turnovers cause his playing time to be cut, not his defense.

The problem defensively with Beetle is that he has a habit of getting in foul trouble needlessly. It doesn’t matter how good your defense is when you are sitting on the bench in foul trouble.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Trey Doomes