TT — ????

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports TT — ????

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Butlereer Butlereer .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets: 103,615

Where were Beetle and Teddy? Neither scored. Beetle 4 mins. Teddy 5 mins.

Greg Hunter
    Greg Hunter
    Muskets: 6,596

Esa’s playing time taking minutes from everyone.

Dropout71
    Muskets: 12,400

Beetle had three fouls in his first two minutes of play.
    “Attitude,” if I heard Huggs’ postgame comments correctly, kept Teddy on the bench.

Ccteam
    Muskets: 87,594

Esa is going to eat into Teddy’s minutes. He will still get his opportunities if he keeps playing hard and scoring when he gets his chances.

NoPittyHere
    Muskets: 27,445

There’s no doubt in my mind that the “officiating” had a tremendous impact on Beetle’s play today.

Teddy, not so much…

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder
    Muskets: 8,975

As noted, it was Allen’s attitude that kept him on the bench in the second half. I think that will be quickly corrected. He’s a passionate guy, and I can easily see that it was frustration causing this.

For Bolden, it was fouls. Three in the first half.

As for the rotation, there are some different ways that WVU could play that wouldn’t cut Allen’s time a ton. First, if Esa regains the starting role, I can see Harris’ numbers going down, especially if he isn’t productive on the boards. Zero rebounds in 16 minutes doesn’t get that done. WVU could play Allen at the two for short stretches and post him up against guards defending him. WVU can also play Esa at the two, as it did for stretches in the second half yesterday.

Now, agreed overall that there are going to be about 30-35 minutes per game that Esa will take. That’s a lot, and they have to come from somewhere. If WVU goes zone on defense, some could come from Sags’ backups too.

Butlereer
    Butlereer

Esa’s 30-35 will come from all over.
    5? from small lineup at bigs with Sags/Bender/Routt on the bench
    5? from West
    15 from Harris
    5 from Teddy

I would like to see Teddy get some mins at 2G. His size could be a huge matchup problem.
    PG Carter
    2G Teddy
    SF Esa
    PF West
    C Sags

Sorry Dax, but this IMO is the best scoring lineup. Teddy scores at almost twice the rate/min of floor time as Dax.

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder
    Muskets: 8,975

Nice breakdown – can definitely see that playing out.

The Allen / Dax comparison is an interesting one. Think you’d also need to add in the defensive side – Teddy gives up more than Dax for sure, so is that still a good tradeoff?

Like getting Allen matched up on a two guard that’s not used to defending the post. Have to prevent the opposing team from switching off to get a bigger guy on him, but then you could perhaps exploit an Esa mismatch. Very interesting options to think about.

Ccteam
    Muskets: 87,594

Agreed there are many ways to split up Esa’s minutes. Another factor that I think will happen is that Esa will bring WV’s free throw percentage made down. He will get to the line and he will not make as many as the gouts who have been going to the line. He is probably equal to Harris on the line, but not Allen, or even Konate. And he will get to the more often than Harris.

Butlereer
    Butlereer

Nice breakdown – can definitely see that playing out.

The Allen / Dax comparison is an interesting one. Think you’d also need to add in the defensive side – Teddy gives up more than Dax for sure, so is that still a good tradeoff?

Like getting Allen matched up on a two guard that’s not used to defending the post. Have to prevent the opposing team from switching off to get a bigger guy on him, but then you could perhaps exploit an Esa mismatch. Very interesting options to think about.

Kevin, I’ll take that switch off any time. Put the bigger defender on Teddy and you have a HUGE advantage with Esa on the switch.

Now, do you give up D? Yes. But is that a bad trade off? Teddy will have to D a lot differently than Dax. Won’t be as effective in the full court, but in the 1/2 court making his guy shoot over and pass around the length of Teddy is much different. And defending in the paint and the ability for Teddy to rebound. Teddy has the same amount of rebounds in well less than 1/2 of the time on the floor.

Now, Teddy doesn’t hit it from deep like Dax, but that’s only 27%. You can cover that with Beetle at 40% and Beetle’s D is getting much better. He just needs to watch his fouls.

No disrespect to Dax and I’m not saying bench him, but IMO there are alternatives.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports TT — ????