Virginia Tech is #15. Why is WVU the favorite in Vegas?

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Virginia Tech is #15. Why is WVU the favorite in Vegas?

• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated by Eugene Kesner.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

It doesn’t not compute. Oh, I hope with all my might that my alma mater wins Saturday in Mountaineer Field. But #15 vs. an unranked team ? Something not adding up here.

Because point spreads are not made solely based on who is the better team. They are made to attract an even number of bets on either side, which is the way that guarantees the house makes money.

Of course the better team is often the favorite in betting odds, but not always, especially when closely matched. And using rankings by writers who haven’t seen either team play is just as likely to not compute.

The game is in Morgantown.

Eye balling WVU, if they don’t play sloppy ball on the road against Maryland they probably win.

A clean game by WVU in Morgantown I can see WVU winning by a field goal.

Can we establish the run early and often?  Limit turnovers to near 0 ?

THEN, can WVU’s defense & special teams cause hell on VT to make them sloppy?

I don’t bet, but if I did….. I’d bet on VT blowing a game they shouldn’t early in the season right after they become ranked – it’s like clockwork.

I watched VaTech – UNC and both of our games.

Unless UNC is awful I’m surprised by the line.

Tech looked strong and fast on defense. I’d be shocked if we score much on them.

With a 2.5 WVU favorite and 50.5 over/under, they’re looking at a 27-24 type game to bet on if you’re picking WVU?
    And the Oklahoma game to be in prime time?
    Reminds me of the old saw about prisoners betting using little stones as money.
    That was usually the normal bet that was made, with the stones.
    Well, one day they were all making their bets with the “house guy” using their stones when in comes this guy with a huge rock and says, “put it all on WVU” !
    To which the house guy retorts, “NO WAY! YOU KNOW SOMETHING!”
    Wonder who knows something?

No turnovers, no penalties, don’t kill ourselves, we can win this game.

I have gone to several different sites with major predictors predicting scores.

Other than Vegas, all other predictions have the Mountaineers losing the game mostly by a TD or less.

So, IMO, Vegas wants interest in the game by stressing even game, thus making money on it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Virginia Tech is #15. Why is WVU the favorite in Vegas?