West Virginia Football’s Biggest Questions In 2019: No. 1 – Quarterbacks

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports West Virginia Football’s Biggest Questions In 2019: No. 1 – Quarterbacks

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Kevin Kinder Kevin Kinder .

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

West Virginia Football’s Biggest Questions In 2019: No. 1 – Quarterbacks (Editor’s Note – In this series of stories, we’re taking a look at each of We
    [See the full post at: West Virginia Football’s Biggest Questions In 2019: No. 1 – Quarterbacks]

JAL

Nearly impossible to know how a QB will do until they play regularly for a few games.  I know James Madison is a good team but they are not Oklahoma or Alabama or Clemson,  so a good game by a QB against them will not be conclusive.  Agree, you need good QB play to win most games, or at least a QB who does not make big mistakes.  Regardless of how good your running game or defense is, there will come times that the QB has to make a play.

“Many thought Allison would move to the top of the quarterback list immediately upon arriving at WVU in January as a graduate transfer from Oklahoma”

Allison transferred from Miami after his true FR year and he sat a year.  That was Kendall as a GR Trans from OK.

Typo, my mistake. Should have Kendall.

Old man brain fart settling in?  Been there, done that.

Brain farts definitely seem more frequent now than they used to be.

To many collisions to the head, Greg.  Alas, I too suffer the old man’s brain farts . . .

I think it ultimately comes down to mobility. Kendall and move around and Allison cannot. In today’s game Dan Marino wouldn’t be “Dan Marino”

It will be interesting to see how Lowe develops.  I like his combination of mobility and drop back ability.

And the brief glimpses of Lowe show a nice arm too.

Lowe does throw a nice ball – watching him in drills with no pressure he has a good release and a tight spiral.

Taking a look at what Brown ran both in his early years and then when he had a QB he recruited should give an idea where he’s leaning. He obviously will be running a limited package and might decide on a QB that can run a hybrid scheme that he’s comfortable with and will be the most consistent And trustworthy!

Is there any real indication that Lowe is really running neck and neck with Kendall and Allison)?

I know the depth chart reads as it does but it just doesn’t seem as though it is truly a three player race but rather an indication of how much improvement is necessary at the position and thus the guise of more competition.

I assume Doege would need to be cleared ASAP in order to have a decent shot at the position.

I hope this position is better than I am thinking but right now it does not appear to be very good.

From all indications around the interweb it’s prolly a 2 man battle between Allison and Kendall with Kendall holding the lead.  But that’s just the speculation from the bobbleheads.

Then there’s a lot of references from the couch potatos that seem to think they have the inside scoop that Kendall isn’t all that.  You can take their information and a six of Natty Lights and make your own decision.

Tony: I’ve talked with Sean Reagan a bit about using the QBs, and at Troy they have played multiple QBs, with plays for each a bit tailored to their strengths. One played more than the other, but both played. If no one separates himself, but each has something that they are good at and can help win games, I can see that happening this year.

Lowe would be an obvius candidate with his running for a tailored package, but I cold see it happening with any of the three. Brown and Reagon have both said that the system can be adapted to fit the strengths of different QBs. I think that can be a challenge as you have to practice more things, and get fewer reps at each, but the thinking is there is enough similarity at the base so that confusion isn’t a problem.

Mex/Butler: Judging from what we saw of the spring, my inclination would be that Lowe is somewhat behind the other two. Definitely, the coaches want to stoke the competitive fires and have someone jump up and take the job, and that hasn’t happened yet.

Now, once a statement lke that is made, it can lead to all sorts of conclusions that aren’t necessarily correct. Kendall had to learn a new system, earn teammates respect, all those things. And granted, the offense in the spring game was disjointed and inconsistent. It’s fair to say that right now, WVU doesn’t have a clear #1 QB.

Asked about Doege at Media Days, and was told the waiver appeal is still in process. No indication as to which way it might play out.  Agreed that will have to come very soon in order for him to have a chance. He has been throwing some during player-organized sessions, and reportedly does throw it well, which we’ve seen in his games, but of course he has been cramming the WVU system too.

Sort of related: Wonder if the new coaching staff at Bowling Green has an issue? Another QB has just entered the transfer portal (as Doege did earlier this spring) and now the Falcons are down to just one scholarship QB.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports West Virginia Football’s Biggest Questions In 2019: No. 1 – Quarterbacks