West Virginia Football’s Biggest Questions In 2019: No. 7 – The Return Game

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports West Virginia Football’s Biggest Questions In 2019: No. 7 – The Return Game

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Allen .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

West Virginia Football’s Biggest Questions In 2019: No. 7 – The Return Game (Editor’s Note – In our series of stories over the next few weeks, we’re g
    [See the full post at: West Virginia Football’s Biggest Questions In 2019: No. 7 – The Return Game]

Just another example of HCDH’s lack of attention to detail. Good head coaches come in all shapes sizes and systems. But they have one thing in common; a disciplined attention to detail. Dana doesn’t have it. Good luck with that Houston.

I was always stunned by his answer to this. I fully understand the first goal in the return game is to catch and secure the ball so as not to give it back to the team that just kicked it, but those hidden yards in the return game can be important.

If you have an overpowering offense, maybe it’s not so big of a deal, but how many times does a team come up 5-10 yards short of being in field goal range, or of turning a longer FG attempt into a shorter one, or getting into four-down territory?

And there’s nothing like a long or a TD return on a kick to really flip the ol’ momentum switch.

The previous head coach focused on one side of the ball, which explains why our special teams and defense looked the way it did the past few years.  WVU is blessed that our coach left and we hired Coach Brown.

How many times was the offense in a 3 and out in under a minute. How many times was the defense back on the field in under 2 minutes of a scoring drive. If you don’t have depth you can’t be a quick 3 and out or a 1 to 2 play scoring team.

I don’t see this as a problem for NB coaching staff. The defense may not be awesome but if the D-Line can get pressure the secondary will look better than they might appear.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports West Virginia Football’s Biggest Questions In 2019: No. 7 – The Return Game