Whose responsibility is it ?

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Whose responsibility is it ?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by DrJohn DrJohn .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

TonyAlto
    Muskets: 18,661

What is both confusing and disturbing is how the coaches
    admit that they were stunned and had no answer as to what
    happened to the offense!?
    That pretty much answers the question of why there were
    NO in game adjustments to correct the situation?
    This seems to be an on going problem!

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder
    Muskets: 8,975

I have to admit this was surprising too. I understand that sometimes a watch of the film is necessary to answer some questions, but WVU couldn’t find much that worked, and that is concerning.

On the flip side, if you can’t block, nothing is going to work. It may be that the coaches weren’t going to single out one aspect of play, thus avoiding the “they threw them under the bus” accusations that follow such an activity. If so, I can understand that.

themadrev
    Muskets: 7,480

Heres the thing. Our Offensive Line play has been beyond subpar for years now. Not a secret, but if you dont know how to take advantage of it then the talent level of Grier and his boys will make up for this huge deficiency. Unless….while scouting us you realize Grier has a propensity for holding the ball a bit too long and you realize you can get pressure on him with just 3 down lineman. So then you man up and jam our receivers at the line of scrimmage not allowing them a clean release thus messing up the timing of slants and hitches. While playing a Cover 3 Shell it takes away the fear of anyone getting behind you if they get by this initial jam. Watching the game it was obvious that ole sneaky Matt and his staff knew that at this point in every play Will would get anxious and slightly frustrated….and that is when the 2 remaining guys who had initially helped with initial jams, run support and clgging up the middle of the field would come on late but well timed blitzes thus sending Will on a scamper. If you also scouted us and knew beforehand that our receivers arent good at working their way back towards the quarterback if their initial route is taken away then you have created a recipe for disaster for WVU. A 152 total yards recipe. Which you then slide into the oven known as Spavitals head and watch it bake.

NickyGaspipe
    Muskets: 6,480

Ultimately the responsibility is on the head coach. Following the old adage of “stuff” flows downhill, position coaches must be held accountable for their places of responsibility. I know that it would be hard to fire a friend that has a family, but if your own employment is tied to their performance…….which it certainly is in college football, then tough decisions must be made. These past 2 seasons the play of the OL and the offense in general has been sub-par…..change is overdue, IMO.

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets: 82,060

Heres the thing. Our Offensive Line play has been beyond subpar for years now. Not a secret, but if you dont know how to take advantage of it then the talent level of Grier and his boys will make up for this huge deficiency. Unless….while scouting us you realize Grier has a propensity for holding the ball a bit too long and you realize you can get pressure on him with just 3 down lineman. So then you man up and jam our receivers at the line of scrimmage not allowing them a clean release thus messing up the timing of slants and hitches. While playing a Cover 3 Shell it takes away the fear of anyone getting behind you if they get by this initial jam. Watching the game it was obvious that ole sneaky Matt and his staff knew that at this point in every play Will would get anxious and slightly frustrated….and that is when the 2 remaining guys who had initially helped with initial jams, run support and clgging up the middle of the field would come on late but well timed blitzes thus sending Will on a scamper. If you akso scouted us and knew beforehand that our receivers arent good at working their way back towards the quarterback if their initial route is taken away then you have created a recipe for disaster for WVU. A 152 total yards recipe. Which you then slide into the oven known as Spavitals head and watch it bake.

AMEN Rev …. AMEN

themadrev
    Muskets: 7,480

Butlereer….im a 53 year old overnight support manager at walmart who never has and never will coach a down of football but I could see what was happening. Yet our OC who makes a tad more than I do, yes sarcasm, couldnt implement a plan on the to fly to counter attack? Really? Brother im so sick of this guy. 2 years of watching his ineptness is enough for me. And while im on my soapbox….we cant runblock AT ALL and to further complicate that 2 of our 4 backs are average at best if we are honest cause if the initial hole doesnt exist….forget about it.

DrJohn
    DrJohn
    Muskets: 2,660

Heres the thing. Our Offensive Line play has been beyond subpar for years now. Not a secret, but if you dont know how to take advantage of it then the talent level of Grier and his boys will make up for this huge deficiency. Unless….while scouting us you realize Grier has a propensity for holding the ball a bit too long and you realize you can get pressure on him with just 3 down lineman. So then you man up and jam our receivers at the line of scrimmage not allowing them a clean release thus messing up the timing of slants and hitches. While playing a Cover 3 Shell it takes away the fear of anyone getting behind you if they get by this initial jam. Watching the game it was obvious that ole sneaky Matt and his staff knew that at this point in every play Will would get anxious and slightly frustrated….and that is when the 2 remaining guys who had initially helped with initial jams, run support and clgging up the middle of the field would come on late but well timed blitzes thus sending Will on a scamper. If you also scouted us and knew beforehand that our receivers arent good at working their way back towards the quarterback if their initial route is taken away then you have created a recipe for disaster for WVU. A 152 total yards recipe. Which you then slide into the oven known as Spavitals head and watch it bake.

Well stated, Rev. The ISU downlinemen were able to consistently disrupt our OLine and did it quickly allowing the rest of the defenders to cover and bring late pressure. It actually began to look easy for them.
    No open receivers for the quick routes and no time to complete the long routes. And this was against ISU. I am really looking forward to being at the Baylor game to see how this team responds.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Whose responsibility is it ?