WVU bb team workouts

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU bb team workouts

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Kevin Kinder Kevin Kinder .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

newham
    Muskets:

Has anyone seen our team working out, and how is Jordan McCabe doing?

TonyAlto
    Muskets:

Has anyone seen our team working out, and how is Jordan McCabe doing?

Not sure why but there seems to be very little
    info about the BB team’s summer activities. Both
    team wise and individually!?

exDMer
    Muskets:

Saw a post elsewhere that said McCabe still adjusting to speed of collegians, having passes intercepted. Doomes jumping impressive, but seems to lack confidence in long-range shooting.

Bmb873
    Muskets:

Watching Doomes play a few times he reminds me of what happened when I played…if he is going up against someone even slightly lesser than him he absolutely dominates and has endless confidence. If the person can match his athleticism he is going against he gets hesitant..he needs to learn to stay at that first level.

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets:

Saw a post elsewhere that said McCabe still adjusting to speed of collegians, having passes intercepted. Doomes jumping impressive, but seems to lack confidence in long-range shooting.

I can see this happening with McCabe. His moves are superior to HS players. He’ll adjust to the D1 level quickly. Huggs won’t let him get out of control on the floor with the fancy passing. It will take some time.

TonyAlto
    Muskets:

Where the H are these guys, old and new, being seen playing!?

Are they secret workouts? Does B&G have any knowledge of

them? Have Harler and Routt transferred? What is going on!?

Greg Hunter
    Greg Hunter
    Muskets:

A few things. Most of WVU’s newcomers have only been in Morgantown for a week, so they are just starting their workouts. Most of the Mountaineers workouts and pickup games are played in the practice facility. The media and general public is not allowed to watch any of this, so other than a few rumors, not much leaks out. I’ve heard that McCabe and Doomes look like young kids physically in comparison to the veterans, but this is normally the case for true freshmen. Culver is an exception, as he’s a full-grown man, though he’s also a year older than a typical true freshman having spent a year in a prep school. But if you want in-depth observations on something we aren’t able to see, I can’t give that to you.

As for Harler and Routt, Huggins talked about each last week. It’s just an educated guess on my part, but I think both return to WVU next season. That still leaves WVU one over the scholarship limit, so it would likely mean Routt returns to walk-on status. That’s my assessment at the moment.

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder
    Muskets:

A bit more on the workouts. Teams are allowed to work a couple of hours each week with coaches in groups, and additional hours with strength and conditioning coaches (without the regular coaching staff present). So there’s a little bit of evaluation going on, but nothing near the level needed to start forming opinions about who is going to play, etc.

On their own, players can get together (they usually call it open gym, although it’s not open — it’s also in the basketball practice facility) and also includes alums and others who are working out in prep for pro careers. For example, Da’Sean Butler and Alex Ruoff are there, John Flowers, Tarik Phillip, etc.

These are’t covered by NCAA limits, so they can do this as much as they want on their own during the off season.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU bb team workouts