WVU Bowl Breakdown

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU Bowl Breakdown

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Kevin Kinder Kevin Kinder .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

WVU Bowl Breakdown West Virginia has a handful of potential bowl destinations on the boards. Where might the Mountaineers land? Here’s the breakdown.
    [See the full post at: WVU Bowl Breakdown]

Didn’t see Grier’s name mentioned in relation to
    bowl committee considerations for teams!? It seems
    that a WVU team’s value with and without him would
    be considerable in the evaluation!

Not sure WV can keep up with Memphis offense with Chuggs. That wouldnt be a good look.

A lot of thought (and time) went into that, and it’s appreciated, as always.

This season, though, despite what’s happened with Grier, has to have a lot of fans–and most importantly boosters, questioning where the future of the program is headed. “Coach-speak” is one thing, but reality is altogether something different.

Are they content? Are we as fans and alumni? Is the AD and who heads it?

Myself, I see WVU being on the cusp of “committing” to the “next level,” or simply being “content” for where they are in football. Just how important is it for this school?

Speaking only for myself, I know we’re not Oklahoma. We’re not an underachieving Texas. But we’re better than everything else this conference offers in football. And that’s a fact.

Point is, either you step up and take charge, or you yield to those that do. You rule, or be ruled. And in this case, you play in the miserable excuse of a “national championship” that’s presently afforded to you or one of the better handouts, or you are simply content for a participation ribbon.

Spun any other way is unacceptable as a WVU fan.

This season, though, despite what’s happened with Grier, has to have a lot of fans–and most importantly boosters, questioning where the future of the program is headed. “Coach-speak” is one thing, but reality is altogether something different.

Myself, I see WVU being on the cusp of “committing” to the “next level,” or simply being “content” for where they are in football. Just how important is it for this school?

Speaking only for myself, I know we’re not Oklahoma. We’re not an underachieving Texas. But we’re better than everything else this conference offers in football. And that’s a fact.

Point is, either you step up and take charge, or you yield to those that do. You rule, or be ruled. And in this case, you play in the miserable excuse of a “national championship” that’s presently afforded to you or one of the better handouts, or you are simply content for a participation ribbon.

What is your point? Are you suggesting the football program is being run as accepting a 7 win season is OK?

I would wholly disagree but then again I’m simply asking your view. Fans typically have erroneous views of what a coaching staff’s motives and intentions are for each game and season.

Didn’t see Grier’s name mentioned in relation to
    bowl committee considerations for teams!? It seems
    that a WVU team’s value with and without him would
    be considerable in the evaluation!

That was one of the other things I asked the Alamo Bowl rep about – does style of play or star power matter? He said that it does help to have a high-profile player, but losing such a player wouldn’t keep a team out of the selection process. In this case, WVU’s reputation for travelling and watching the team probably helps more.

Not sure WV can keep up with Memphis offense with Chuggs. That wouldnt be a good look.

After watching that Memphis – UCF game, certainly understand that worry. But, can’t be concerned about the opponent, anyone you play in a bowl is going to be at least decent, and probably pretty good. I also have the feeling that the defense will play pretty well in the bowl game. OU has an outstanding offense, and it made WVU look bad, but I think that’s as much credit to the Sooners as it is to WVU’s issues.

Lots of food for thought in this post, and well done.

There is a difference between saying you want to compete at the top and actually taking the steps to do it. The first thing is money, obviously, and while WVU isn’t in the OU/OSU/UT range, I think it can be close enough to compete. If that’s the case, then the next thing, as you noted, is taking charge, and that includes finding the right people to run programs. People that can recruit and coach and sell what the school has to offer. That, to me, is the biggest challenge for WVU. It has coaches like Jon Hammond, Nikki Izzo-Brown and Mike Carey who are either doing it at the highest level or continuing to move upwards.

Is HCDH in that class? I’ll leave that for another thread. I think Shane Lyons understands WVU might not be in the mix every year, like OU. But I don’t think he will accept one ten-win season out of four or five years, with minor bowls mixed in.

This bowl game, while off the national radar, is going to be important in that regard. Can WVU overcome adversity, and show that the players care? (If you don’t care in this game, are you going to care in non-con games or against K-State or TT next year?) Can they make it a springboard for a better year next year?

A lot of this is on recruiting, too. I think this year’s class is better than those of a few previous seasons, but is enough to make up some of this gap? And fairly soon?

I have never been an advocate of firing a coach over the results of one year or two. Too many quick triggers ruin programs. HCDH does have a body of work built up now, though, and I think the results of 2018 are going to weigh a great deal in any decision ADSL might make.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU Bowl Breakdown