WVU Football: A Successful Season?

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU Football: A Successful Season?

• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated by wvucinci.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

At the conclusion of West Virginia’s 2020 football regular season, I received a quick question from one of our social media followers: was this a succ
    [See the full post at: WVU Football: A Successful Season?]

I personally believe a bowl win is a successful season, But that’s just me

Yes for the season.  Full season could have added 2 OOC W’s. Good bowl W against a very good Army team.  Recruiting is better.

So, yes all around.

I consider anything above .500 with a bowl win a successful season.

2021 will be another tough one with two stout OOC opponents.

(WINS) Long Island, K-ST, Kansas, TX Tech
    (LOSSES) Oklahoma, Iowa State
    (TOSS UPS) Maryland, Va Tech, Texas, Ok State, TCU, Baylor

Four wins, two losses, split the six toss up games = 7-5.

7-5 would be holding steady, while a one game bump up to 8-4 would be a trend upwards. 6-6 or worse would be a step back.

Yes … Big12 coaches predicted we would finish 8th in the league. I thought we would win 3 to 4 Big 12 games and 1 or 2 non conf ….. so a 6 – 6 would have been a good year in my opin … with crazy covid year I will call 6-4 a success

This team’s record could have easily been 8-2 with the bowl win.

The Texas game was a killer with those lousy calls and our dropped TD pass in the end zone.

Capping the season with a bowl win against a solid team was big.

Outside of the better than expected win total – I saw improvement.  I really like Neil Brown as a coach, but I still needed to see on field improvement and I did.  It was a also a tough second year for a coach of a young team with a limited offseason.  Now, there is still plenty of room for more improvement, and I really hope we clean some of that up.  Namely, drops and penalties.    Overall, I was pleased.  I worry about the QB position next year, but I think we’re trending in the right direction long term.

Definitely successful.  Next year will be a challenge though.  See maybe a slight step back or standing pat

A winning season (particularly this season) AND a Bowl Game win against a good Army team equates to a successful season. We got the USUAL ‘home-cooking’ at Texas, we should have won! We were in every game except Iowa State.

Next year looks like the same or maybe a little worse. The new Texas coach will embarrass a lot of folks next year. Iowa State will continue upwards. Oklahoma is always a tough out and Oklahoma State is too. We might improve but the win-loss stats wont.

All of us saw improvement.  We had a winning season and a bowl win.  Bowl wins aren’t appreciated as much nowadays of course.  But I went from birth to 1969 before I saw the Mountaineers win a bowl game and still remember an embarrassing Liberty Bowl loss in 1964 to Utah.  Getting a Liberty Bowl victory over a good (definitely well-coached) Army team was an excellent way to end 2020. Our guys played with enthusiasm in the bowl game and looked like they were having fun too.  I think Brown is building something.  It’s a slow, gradual process which kind of reminds me of Jim Carlen’s gradually building a good program, winning 3 games his first year, then 5, then 7, and then 10.  In other words I like the trajectory we’re on.  I think we win 7 or 8 in 2021, and we continue to climb, and I’m not an optimist by nature.

Jim Carlen is a good comparison here, old guy.  And as a teenager, I agonized over that embarrassing indoor, short field Liberty Bowl loss to Utah in ’64.

A more modern comparison is how Matt Campbell raised the Iowa State program.  Trust me, we haven’t seen the last of Iowa State prowess in the Big XII as long as Iowa State can keep him on the payroll.

I am seeing Neal Brown using the Matt Campbell model here which bodes well.  So, I join the consensus and agree that this year was a successful season for us.

It seemed successful. Then again looking at the talent on the defensive side of the ball one could ask how we managed to lose so many games.

The answer, I believe, is pretty simple and it is o-line and QB play. You just cant win anlot of games when EITHER of those are suspect let alone both.

Then there was the dismantling by Iowa State. That was tough to watch and a complete head scratcher. I too hope Brown can emulate Campbell.

Mex, I think any problem we had on the D side was the lack of LB’s.  Both in numbers and then all of the injuries.  That should be addressed in this recruiting class.

The problems on O have been the OL for years.  Lack of numbers and talent.  Give these young kids another year along with giving them some help on the 2 deep while giving the new young guys a couple years to develop is what it will take.

Greg will tell us we have enough bodies.  I respectfully disagree.  At least not enough to allow our FR to develop for a couple years before throwing them into the fire.  I’ll go back to the Dandy Don years when we had a lot of upperclassmen starting on the OL and didn’t have to rely on FR/RFR to fill out the 2 deep.  Sometimes one came along that excelled, but not that often.

QB is another discussion.

Butler, I know no one, certainly not me, is going to change your opinion.  But I will continue with the point/counterpoint discussion without stooping to the Jane or Dan level of response.

Here is what would satisfy me.  Recruit 3 Olinemen per year.  Of those 3 two will always be at least the equal of Behrndt and Brown by the time they are seniors (I would take better but this at least gives you a base line of minimum ability) and one would always make an NFL roster after they graduate.

Assuming your “pro” potential players would start as seniors, juniors, and rs sophomores, that leaves you 6 linemen in those 3 classes to man the two other starting positions and the primary backup positions.  Meaning your “pro” caliber rs freshman would make the 2 deep and the other rs freshmen and true freshman would be in “development” mode.

Would that always work?  Probably not.  But I could live with that model.  It takes continuity in coaching, good evaluation of talent, and good recruiting skills.  It also takes players who are content to “develop” for the better part of 2 years and then be in tough competition for their last 3 years for playing time.

But I will never be convinced that overloading a position group in any one year (or two) is either good for the group or the team.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU Football: A Successful Season?