WVU Golf Holds Spots In National Rankings

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU Golf Holds Spots In National Rankings

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Butlereer Butlereer .

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

The West Virginia University golf team makes an appearance in a pair of national rankings, including a top-25 ranking, released this week.

The Mountaineers currently sit at No. 23 in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings, based on Jeff Sagarin’s mathematical formula involving record, schedule strength, power rating and records. WVU is one of five Big 12 teams in the top 25, as Texas Tech (No. 3), Oklahoma (No. 4), Baylor (No. 15) and Texas (No. 20) also make an appearance.

West Virginia is just outside the top 25 in the Golfstat rankings, coming in at No. 26. Four Big 12 foes rank ahead of the Mountaineers: No. 2 Texas Tech, No. 3 Oklahoma, No. 11 Baylor and No. 22 Texas.

Additionally, WVU was ranked at No. 25 in the Bushnell/Golfweek Coaches Poll released Sept. 23.

The Mountaineers returned from Houston with a 2-2-1 mark at the Big 12 Match Play Tournament, held at the Club at Houston Oaks. Senior Etienne Papineau put together a 3-1-1 individual mark to lead West Virginia to wins over TCU and Iowa State.

WVU will join UCF in hosting The Tavistock Collegiate Invitational on Oct. 20-22 at Windermere Golf and Country Club in Isleworth, Florida.

Impressive, hold that through March and that would be incredible.

Indeed!

Excellent news.   I have a theory that success in non-revenue sports is evidence of a well-run athletic department.  I like to see the rifle, soccer, gymnastics, golf team, etc. do well.   Football pays the bills, but I really like to see all of our athletes succeed.

A’Man!

For such a young sport this group has certainly done very well.  This early success will only continue to grow as we are able to recruit better and show these recruits that we have facilities that can compete with any in the country.

Oldguy gets it.

It’s great news for the relatively new golf team!

Agreed, Rip and Oldguy. Every sport can’t be successful, but when you have programs like women’s soccer, golf, women’s hoops, cross country\track and oh yeah, rifle, it makes for a strong picture.

One might argue it is the exact opposite of a Pastilong led department.

Let’s not get into a pissing contest about Fast Eddie’s legacy.  I’ve been told my comments about his deficiencies were off base.

Butler, just pointing out his “beliefs” that were certainly evident in the leadership and level of competitiveness in the non revenue sports.

Those that defend have very little ammo.

Starting in 2010 we saw a definite shift in leadership beliefs.  Glad to see this shift continue with Shane.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU Golf Holds Spots In National Rankings