WVU Men’s Basketball Team Loses Two More Underclassmen

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU Men’s Basketball Team Loses Two More Underclassmen

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  mexman .

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

WVU Men’s Basketball Team Loses Two More Underclassmen Two more Mountaineer men’s basketball players have reportedly decided to transfer. According to
    [See the full post at: WVU Men’s Basketball Team Loses Two More Underclassmen]

Huggins gets to completely remodel. In Huggs I trust.

I can see up to 4 more leaving:  Knapper, Harler, Routt, and Horton.

Harler has said he wants to stay. Routt will be 4th power forward. He could go down a division,but think he stays. Non-scholarship this year. Depending on how many Huggs signs , he may get his schollie back. Horton is walk on. Hope he stays but if he wants to play could drop a class and do that. I think Knapper stays.

Not surprised, and I wish them all the best in their future endeavors.

Lamont West an underclassman? I’m confused.

When I saw the headline I clicked on it looking for a Freshman or Sophomore.

Lamont was a redshirt junior eligibility wise, I believe.  He will graduate so he can transfer with immediate eligibility somewhere else.

I can see up to 4 more leaving: Knapper, Harler, Routt, and Horton.

Harler has stated already he is staying.  Horton and Routt are walk ons and year to year the walk ons change.  I can see Horton leaving for more pt at a DII or DIII school because we have a very good PWO from KY coming in this year.  Routt’s leaving would hurt only because he gives us 5 mins and 5 fouls in the paint.  Knapper is a conundrum.  He can back up at PG but we have McCabe as the starter, Haley and McBride can back up also.  Knapper can be a 2G and can hit from 3 but not at the 40%+ mark we really need and his size puts him at a disadvantage along with his slow developing D skills.   I still hope he stays.

Lamont was a redshirt junior eligibility wise, I believe. He will graduate so he can transfer with immediate eligibility somewhere else.

I realize.

It’s just a difference in how the term underclassmen is used. I’ve always defined it as a freshman or sophomore, not a guy finishing his Junior year.

un·der·class·man
    /ˌəndərˈklasmən/
    nounUS
    plural noun: underclassmen
    a student in high school or college who is not a senior.

Perception of the term, then.  I guess I always thought of the term meaning “not a senior”.  No worries, it’s all good.

Ha!  Greg and I posted at exactly the same time.  🙂

Great minds think alike MI.

So for record keeping sake, that leaves us with:

McCabe, Knapper, Harler, Haley, #McBride, (Horton)

Mathews, Culver

Sags, #Oscar, (Routt)

Lets assume we can’t find an immediate contributor at forward and that Sags returns. If true then I’m guessing we will see a fair bit of Haley at “3” and Sags at “4”???

18F54E3B-B683-4BCD-8141-35B1B29370D5

E908F646-F34A-4F27-9A9C-7A42342F419E

So for record keeping sake, that leaves us with: McCabe, Knapper, Harler, Haley, #McBride, (Horton) Mathews, Culver Sags, #Oscar, (Routt) Lets assume we can’t find an immediate contributor at forward and that Sags returns. If true then I’m guessing we will see a fair bit of Haley at “3” and Sags at “4”???

Wasn’t it reported that Oscar was told that he would play the 4?  I believe OT said that in an interview and that was one of the reasons he chose WVU.   Sags away from the paint on D IMO is a mistake.  He needs to be there like he was in the Pitt game.

Sags, Culver and OT sounds great but may be a problem…. Huggs could probably make it work; but I think Sags should move on… Where? to the G League or Europe.

Mex – Sags can definitely play at the 4 offensively, though because of his shot blocking ability, I’d rather have him in the middle on defense at the 5. Culver could likely play a 4 defensively, but he’s going to have to improve some if he has to go out to the perimeter and cover a stretch 4. Though Huggs probably won’t want to overload Tshiebwe with multiple positions right away, he eventually could be as versatile as any of them. He’s got a nice shot (saw him hit a three in the game I was at), and definitely athletic enough to play the four and dare I saw maybe even eventually the three. Maybe I’m dreaming, but I’d love for Huggs to find a way to get all three on the court at the same time – and hopefully he’ll have that option with all three still being on the team next year.

Wow, Tshiebwe at 3 – that’s an eye opener even if only as a future possibility.

Agree about Sags on D but my comment was more about available bodies and the immense talent of some of the bigger guys. Easy to go to the 3-guard set which is why I say Haley at 3 but minutes still have to get filled in the traditional 4 spot which Culver will almost certainly man as the starter… then who? Unless we get a solid contributor who is 6’7” to 6’9” as a 4 then we will see some creative lineups as I suggest.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU Men’s Basketball Team Loses Two More Underclassmen