WVU Men's Soccer Team Adds New Assistant

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU Men's Soccer Team Adds New Assistant

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Greg Hunter Greg Hunter .

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Greg Hunter
    Greg Hunter
    Muskets:

Former West Virginia University men’s soccer All-American goalkeeper Nick Noble will return to WVU as an assistant coach, head coach Marlon LeBlanc announced Monday.

Noble, a first-team All-American in 2006 who set numerous school records as a Mountaineer, joins the WVU coaching staff following an 11-year professional career. As a four-year starter in goal at WVU from 2003-06, Noble set a total of 17 career or single-season program records.

“I am very excited that we’ve been able to bring Nick home to WVU,” LeBlanc said. “Having a coach of Nick’s quality and experience is exactly what our young goalkeepers need, and I’m confident he’s going to have an immediate impact on their development both on and off the field.”

“It is a great pleasure to come back to a program, school and town that I hold close to my heart,” Noble said. “Thank you to WVU for giving me this opportunity. I am excited to get started and work towards winning a national championship in 2018.”

A Damascus, Md., native, Noble’s professional career began in Major League Soccer as a first-round pick in the supplemental draft by the Chicago Fire in 2007. He spent the 2009 season with the Austin Aztex of the United Soccer League before playing in 59 matches from 2010-11 for Swedish Superettan team Ljungskile SK.

In 2012, Noble signed with the MLS’ Los Angeles Galaxy and the Harrisburg City Islanders of the USL. He played in 122 career matches with the Islanders from 2012-17 and was named the 2012 USL Goalkeeper of the Year as well as an All-League Second Team honoree in 2013.

In an illustrious Mountaineer career, Noble was named a First Team National Soccer Coaches Association All-American and a Second Team All-American by College Soccer News as a senior in 2006 and added Big East Goalkeeper of the Year accolades. In his career, he also was a two-time All-Big East honoree and earned six weekly Big East accolades.

Noble easily holds the Mountaineer record for career wins, with 45, while his 15 victories in 2006 also is No. 1. Noble’s 12 wins in 2004 tied a program record at the time, while his 13 victories in 2005 gave him sole possession of the record before he broke it again the following season.

Noble set a then-WVU record with a 0.79 goals-against average as a sophomore in 2004, a mark he eclipsed as a senior with a 0.63 in 2006. His 1.02 goals-against average in 2005 was fourth-best at the time and still ranks in the top 10 in the WVU record books. Noble’s career goals-against average of 0.88 set a program record.

His 302 career saves rank No. 3 all-time. The total was highlighted by 91 saves in 2005, which ranks No. 10 in a single season in team history. Noble’s save percentage of .864 in 2006 ranked No. 4 all-time, while his .812 career save percentage also was fourth-best in WVU history.

Noble concluded his career ranked No. 1 all-time with 34 shutouts, highlighted by a then-school-record 12 in 2005 and another 11 in 2006.

Noble still ranks No. 1 in team history in matches played, starts and minutes played in 2005, with 23 starts and 2,120 minutes, while he concluded his career ranked No. 1 with 79 matches played, 77 starts and 7,135 minutes in his career.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU Men's Soccer Team Adds New Assistant