WVU Notebook: Sad News And Other Happenings

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU Notebook: Sad News And Other Happenings

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Greg Hunter Greg Hunter .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

WVU Notebook: Sad News And Other Happenings Sad news is filtering out of Marion County that former Mountaineer running back Kerry Marbury has passed a
    [See the full post at: WVU Notebook: Sad News And Other Happenings]

Kerry Marbury, one of my all time favorites while I was in school the same time he played.

Kerry was Nick Saban’s best man.

Rest in peace, Kerry.  You will be missed.

I remember Woody and Jack announcing Marberry’s exploits. God bless all of them.

I remember Kerry’s Monongah 440 relay team came to a track meet in 1968 in Clarksburg. I think they were Single-A and might have only brought those four guys. I believe there was another future WVU player (wide receiver?) on that relay team as well. As I recall they didn’t even take their sunglasses off and blew the doors off of every other squad – many Triple-A schools, including mine, winning all the sprint events. Loved watching him play at WVU. RIP

I remember the PA announcer saying: “Marbury carry” on running plays. What a joy it was to watch him play. RIP

I had sent a request to Alabama for a comment from Nick Saban on Marbury’s passing. As Shepherdstown noted, Saban and Marbury were not only high school teammates but best friends. Saban made a very heart-felt statement on the death of his lifelong friend:

“Kerry Marbury was wonderful friend and teammate,” Alabama head coach Nick Saban said. “He was a tremendous competitor who attacked everything in life with a fierce determination. Growing up and playing football with Kerry is one of my fondest memories, and his lifelong friendship has meant more than I put into words. Kerry will be greatly missed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU Notebook: Sad News And Other Happenings