WVU’s Lyons: NCAA Pay For Play Not A Foregone Conclusion

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU’s Lyons: NCAA Pay For Play Not A Foregone Conclusion

• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated by Kevin Kinder.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — After spending about 40 minutes talking with Shane Lyons, West Virginia’s athletic director, about the situation in which the NCAA
    [See the full post at: WVU’s Lyons: NCAA Pay For Play Not A Foregone Conclusion]

Interesting article. But college sports will be on a tightrope with the Supreme Court discussion. If it every becomes pay-to-play, under whatever guise, then it’s not amateur any more. I don’t envy the college athletic departments that have to walk this tightrope over the Grand Canyon. 

Will recruiting come down to which school can best give me the opportunity for higher pay through advertisement of products.

Yes Allen, I believe it will, Schools like Ohio State and a few others will do great, Cause their City’s has big fortune 500 companies..JMO

i guess i’m not that smart…lyons said a lot of words, but did not seem to say anything.   also…the ncaa came about for the health and safety of student athletes…then why are student’s playing football???????

‘Lyons seems certain Kavanaugh’s words do not forecast the eventual outcome of a complete overhaul of the NCAA and its business model that will lead to disaster or total professionalism in college sports.”

Does the fact that the NCAA has a “Business Model” for sports throw a shadow over the contention of “Amateurism” in college athletics?

I think it’s tough, at this point, to try to stick to traditional definitions and say college sports are “amateurism”.

At this point, I’d leave that behind, and try to figure out the way in which college athletics can continue. It was already unique – most other nations don’t have sports as part of their colleges – many don’t even have them affiliated with scholastic levels. They are often separate clubs, etc. So, trying to make US college sports “fit” is probably not something that can be done anyway.

The intelligent voice of reason, as usual, Kevin. I just don’t want this to turn into a college arms race. If it does then we might as well watch the NFL and the NBA, which I don’t because it’s not my thing.

Well, the arms race has already been going on in many ways, from facilities to coaches salaries. This won’t be totally comparable to pros – much wider talent level here. But it will be different.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU’s Lyons: NCAA Pay For Play Not A Foregone Conclusion