The Big 12’s Postseason Basketball Notebook
The Big 12 finished the 2017-18 season in the nation’s top spot for both Conference RPI and Strength of Schedule. Additionally, 70 percent of Big 12 teams were in the top 53 of the final RPI report to lead all leagues.
• Kansas punched its ticket to the 2018 Final Four, marking the Big 12’s ninth appearance since inception. The Conference has played in 12 Final Four games (4-8) with a national championship by the Jayhawks in 2008.
• For the first time in Conference history, the Big 12 sent 90 percent of its men’s basketball teams to postseason play with seven in the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship and two in the National Invitation Tournament.
• The Big 12 is the first league since at least 1996-97 to accomplish the feat of 90 percent of its teams in postseason.
• The 12 wins by the Big 12 in this year’s NCAA Championship tied for the most of any conference (ACC). The Big 12 played 19 contests while the ACC played in 21.
• The Big 12 finished over .500 in NCAA competition for the third straight season and had the third-highest win percentage (.632/12-7) of all leagues while playing the second-most games (19).
• The Big 12 led the nation with 70 percent of teams in the NCAA Championship. It marked the fifth time (2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) in Conference history that the league had seven NCAA bids and the fourth since the Big 12 became a 10-member league in 2011-12.
• Over the last five years, the Big 12 has had 34 teams selected for the NCAA Championship – the second-best total of any conference in the nation. All 10 squads have danced at least once in the last two seasons.
The Big 12 led the nation with 40 percent of its teams advancing to the Regional semifinals. Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech and West Virginia danced to the Sweet 16 as the Big 12 made up one-fourth of the field.
• This season marked just the second time in Conference history for four teams to advance to the Sweet 16 with the first occurring in 2002 when the league had 12 teams.
• For the third-consecutive season and the eighth time overall, the Big 12 had at least three teams in the Regional semifinals. The Big 12 has had at least one Sweet 16 team in all but one year in Conference history, with multiple teams 15 times.
• The Big 12 has 10 appearances in the Regional semifinals since the 2016 tournament, one less than the top spot of 11. Seventy percent of Big 12 teams have advanced to a Sweet 16 within the last three seasons – Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and West Virginia.
• For the third season in Big 12 history and the first time with a 10-member league, three teams played in the Elite Eight with Kansas, Kansas State and Texas Tech. Other seasons with three Elite Eight teams include 2002 and 2003.
• The Big 12 has placed at least two teams in the regional finals in six of the past 11 NCAA Championships, including this season (2008, ‘09, ‘10, ‘12, ‘16, ‘18).
• Thirteen times in the last 16 years at least one conference squad has advanced to the Elite Eight.
• The Big 12 has had 25 regional finalists in the past 16 years – the most of any conference during that span.
• The Big 12 finished 2017-18 with a 121-31 (.796) non-conference record, the second-best win percentage in league history to the .797 recorded in 2009-10, and the second-highest in the nation this season behind the Big East’s .797. Sixteen of the non-conference losses were by single digits.
• The Big 12 has won at least 71 percent of its non-conference games each of the past 17 seasons, with eight of the best 10 marks coming since 2008-09. The 121 non-league wins are the most for the Big 12 since the conference began competing as 10 teams in 2011-12.
• The Big 12 had a .600 (33-22) win percentage versus the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC – the best record among those leagues nationally. It marked the ninth straight year the Big 12 has been .500 or better against this group.
• The Big 12 has had at least six 20-win teams for 12 consecutive seasons, including each of the six years since it began competiting with 10 teams. Every Big 12 squad had double-digit victory totals in 2017-18.
• No other league finished the season with 90 percent of its teams above .500 in winning percentage. It was the 16th week of the season (February 21) before a Big 12 team fell below .500.
• Nine of the 10 Big 12 teams received votes or were ranked (60 percent) during 2017-18.
• The Big 12’s margin of victory in conference games of 10.1 points was the smallest among the five autonomy leagues. A total of 35-of-90 of the Big 12’s match-ups were decided by 6-or-fewer points. Nine went to OT, including two in double OT. 56 games were determined within 10 points.
• The lower ranked team won 11 of the 15 outings of ranked conference matchups.
• In 18 league games, an unranked team upset a ranked opponent.
• Five head coaches in the Big 12 have led teams to the Final Four, while nine of 10 coaches have guided a team to the NCAA Tournament and have at least 100 career victories during their respective careers.